PDA

View Full Version : VIN location help

ducttape
06-30-2007, 08:28 AM
My '1967 Series IIA' looks more and more like a series 3 to me. I think the plate with the VIN number on it in the cab is not original.

I know soldiers with lots of time on their hands would modify and update vehicles, but this one is simply too III. The dash, for instance, is series III. It would make no sense to me to do a renvoation like that, even if you knew you had weeks of spare time!

Are there other places the VIN or identifying numbers were stamped in the vehicle? There is nothing about this 109 exMoD that says IIA, and unless I can identify when it was made it seems to be the vehicle without a year.

As always, thanks for your help.

David

rovertek
06-30-2007, 08:57 AM
hi, originaly the serial number was stamped on the right front frame horn, where the front fixed spring shackle is plated over the frame you should find it approx. 1.5 inches down from the top you will need to sand blast lightly or wire brush to reveal it, there is also a method to date by the window markings, the problem is with LR parts fitting from one year to another it makes it easy to canablize different vehicles to make one, and also if the frame has been replaced the original number is usually stamped back on the frame by a competent rebuilder,