PDA

View Full Version : Best manual and or DVD

spf720
03-09-2015, 06:02 PM
I am looking at buying decent manuals and have read about the "Green Bible" although I don't really know what that means. When looking at what's available I see a green covered Instruction manual that looks good? I also see the DVD series that looks complete and good to have in my garage. Still need the book to keep in the truck so I don't mind having a few.
Recommendations?

TravelinLight
03-09-2015, 09:13 PM
They are the two part manual that really is a must have for the upkeep and troubleshooting of your truck. I prefer to have the hard copy rather than the disc.

I would say you should also get the parts manual that has an exploded view of every part and listed part number. It will help to see if you are putting things together correctly.

I would assume our hosts sell them.

pjsank
03-09-2015, 09:14 PM
Avoid the older DVDs ( LHP19, LHP20, LHP21, LHP22, LHP23, LHP24 ) if you come across them. The DRM lockdown makes them darn near un-usable. These versions only work with Windows, or as the literature says 'The DVDs can also be run on Apple MAC Computers WHEN running Windows. A virtualization software like VMware Fusion 3 or Parallels will need to be used to do this.'

o2batsea
03-10-2015, 05:09 AM
Pretty much anything you need is available here:
http://www.landroverweb.com/landrover/pdf-land-rover-manuals/

If you want hard copy buy from our host.

Partsman
03-12-2015, 06:41 PM
Here is a clean copy of the parts manual, this is on my keep and share account, so it's safe:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/vooonjzj8c5339r/Land_Rover_Series_II_&_IIA_Parts_cat.pdf

mpreston14
12-29-2015, 02:25 PM
this is a really stupid question but...

How/where is it possible to order for example parts #78262 and #78237 (screw and nut for attaching nameplate and grill?

Or is this really just a reference piece now for knowing what goes with what etc?

Thanks

Partsman
12-29-2015, 05:41 PM
The UK suppliers will have those part numbers in their systems, so you can go to Craddoks and type those in and you'll get what you needs. Some of the part numbers will work in the search function for our hosts as well.

jac04
12-29-2015, 05:49 PM
this is a really stupid question but...

How/where is it possible to order for example parts #78262 and #78237 (screw and nut for attaching nameplate and grill?

Or is this really just a reference piece now for knowing what goes with what etc?

Thanks
The numbers shown are Land Rover part numbers. Simply search for them on the RN web site (or wherever you like to buy parts - or google them). You might not find some of the old part numbers.

For example, here is what I found for 78237:
http://www.roversnorth.com/search.aspx?q=78237&submit=Search
http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/2065/78237-SPIRE-NUT.html?search=78237&page=1

Edit: I guess I was slower at typing than Partsman...

TeriAnn
12-29-2015, 08:23 PM
Your first manual should be the owners manual for your year vehicle. Why?

Because it contains:
Factory recommended service intervals along with step by step instructions for the owner to carry out the scheduled maintenance.
It tells you how to check and adjust valves, do a full tuneup, check fluids, lube points and more.

It will have a correct wiring diagram for your vehicle, provide vehicle specs and proper operation of the vehicle. This is the most important for a newish owner who intends to do their own tuneups.

Second manual is the factory workshop manuals. These were written for a professional mechanic and covers most repair procedures. SII & SIIA manuals came in two volumes. Its wiring diagrams covers many vehicle variations and may not properly cover yours. The manual assumes the professional mechanic knows everything covered in the owner's manual. If you are going to do major work on your vehicle you need this (these) manual(s). NEVER purchase the manuals put out by other companies. They don't go over everything and take explanation shortcuts.

The factory SII & early IIA (I think up to about '68) had white covers. Reprints and later manuals had green covers. So the Johnny come latelys only know about the green covered reprints and call them Green Bibles.

Third manual is the parts manual. Not really needed but it has good exploded drawings to show you what part goes where and what parts you may be missing.

Fourth manual is the optional parts manual. Again not really needed but same as above.

SafeAirOne
12-29-2015, 11:18 PM
The factory SII & early IIA (I think up to about '68) had white covers....So the Johnny come latelys only know about the green covered reprints and call them Green Bibles.

I suspect that the Johnny-come-latelys who did not own a rover (or a WSM) prior to the year I was born probably far outnumber the pre-'68 old-schoolers at this stage.

mpreston14
12-30-2015, 06:17 AM
Thanks everyone! I have the owners manual, the consolidated "green bible", and now the parts manual 😀 Thanks for the tip on searching RN for the rover part #, I'll start playing around with some of my more obvious needed pieces and go from there. Though this could be an excuse to make a quick trip to old blighty, catch a football(soccer) match, and go on a parts hunt!

TeriAnn
12-30-2015, 07:58 AM
I suspect that the Johnny-come-latelys who did not own a rover (or a WSM) prior to the year I was born probably far outnumber the pre-'68 old-schoolers at this stage.

Gee thanks. Now I feel really old and I guess my 1960 owners manual and pair of greasy white cover workshop manuals are probably considered antiques too.

Partsman
12-30-2015, 08:42 AM
Don't feel bad Terriann, I'm in the same boat.
I still call my white shop manuals the green bible, though I've never owned a green one. I feel having the green bible and the parts manual to be a good combination, I do have my little green owner's manual, but it doesn't have the wiring diagram in it like yours must, but I refer to the maintenance chart all the time.

SafeAirOne
12-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Gee thanks. Now I feel really old and I guess my 1960 owners manual and pair of greasy white cover workshop manuals are probably considered antiques too.

Ha!--Without knowing for sure, I would be surprised if you were in a (chronological) position to be the owner of a Series Rover during the white WSM era. ;)

TeriAnn
12-30-2015, 10:54 PM
Ha!--Without knowing for sure, I would be surprised if you were in a (chronological) position to be the owner of a Series Rover during the white WSM era. ;)

In 3 months I will have owned my current Land Rover for 38 years. She is my second Series truck. The white manuals, pub '68 came with my first LR (1968 88)

I Leak Oil
01-01-2016, 07:54 AM
A good, if not abridged version of the factory manual is the Haynes repair manual. It got me through almost everything I needed to do to my rovers. Easy to pack on your journeys and inexpensive enough that you don't worry about it getting oily finger prints or your friends beer spilled on it.

leafsprung
01-07-2016, 08:09 PM
Listen to Teriann - buy the original land rover printed manuals - the ones for your car (68) are not green they are white and have a small image of the world on them. The have a cloth spine and look like this: 11249 The slightly older one with red text and a larger picture of the world are good too and cover optional equipment but there are some things in the white manuals that will be useful to you. Sadly if you car is usa spec will not cover the USA spec parts (lights, heater, trip etc) that stuff is in the USA specification supplement (very HTF)