PDA

View Full Version : oil leak on start up

jimeagle
03-16-2015, 05:48 AM
1966 series II, I recently pulled the head did a complete overhaul of the head and a new distributor. Drove it a 100 miles or little more with no problem. After sitting for about 6 mos. I was getting ready for some more fun, when I first started the engine my son noticed an oil leak coming from somewhere around the fuel pump or oil filter. About 1/2 quart very fast. Shut down and checked everything I could think of and found nothing. Since then I have started the engine several times and let run on high idle for awhile, showed good oil pressure but not a leak anywhere. Has anybody experienced this? I am totally at loss. thx Jim

LaneRover
03-16-2015, 08:39 AM
DO you have the original oil filter where you have a housing that you take off and the filter is changed and you put the housing back on? If so, could it be the small rubber sealing ring that came loose and it slipped back into place once it warmed up a bit AND got a bit of lubrication?

jimeagle
03-31-2015, 08:46 PM
I do have the original filter holder, guess my next move will be to remove it and check the rubber ring seal. Thanks for the reply. Jim

LaneRover
04-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Amazingly that sealing ring can be too loose OR too tight . . . or pinched etc . . .