PDA

View Full Version : Domestic vs. shopping in the UK

cedryck
03-17-2015, 12:06 PM
Any one know of any military specific sites here or in the UK that mail to the states?

slowmo
03-17-2015, 03:18 PM
I ordered the great majority of my tranny parts from the UK (with apologies to our gracious hosts). The shipping cost was actually minimal and most of the parts were fine (other than for the wrong suffix - see my other thread). One upside was they had a lot of parts that were listed as unavailable here. Also, there was an attractive price differential.

The downside is since some of the parts are for the wrong suffix, it isn't really practical to return them. It took probably at least twice as long to receive the parts as well. A couple of the bearings were not of the quality I wanted to bury in the tranny, so I didn't use them as well.

I feel going off shore makes sense perhaps when undertaking a big project, but for the everyday parts it is not worth the effort. The very good level of service we receive from our hosts comes at a price, and generally I am willing to go that way.

meatblanket
03-17-2015, 04:05 PM
This one. http://www.pablanchard.co.uk/

cedryck
03-18-2015, 09:17 AM
Generally I do shop locally, and yes, our hosts are a great source, of parts, and information, and I do like the 1 and 1/2 day order to door service. Cannot beat that. I have ordered "I don't need it right away" items for spares, and storage from UK and I enjoy the banter on email, and the great stamps that sometimes come with a package. Price difference on some items is worth considering.
I am very appreciative of the facilities across this nation that offer, parts, and service for us.

jac04
03-18-2015, 12:27 PM
I used PA Blanchard for a bunch of parts when I restored a Lightweight (front bumper, over-riders, axles, stub axles, seat belts, 2 fuel tanks, a new rear axle housing - just to name some of the bigger stuff). They also have lots of hard to find parts that are "NLA" according to RN. They were excellent to deal with for the most part, and some of the stuff is just so dirt cheap you almost can't pass it up (like about $125 for a brand new Genuine rear axle housing).

Whiterabbit
03-18-2015, 06:09 PM
I'm in the same boat, I have a military 109 and military parts are far and few between here in the states. I just received a shipment of military kit from Blanchards. Beware that tariffs can be added to the cost of your low cost parts!

cedryck
03-19-2015, 03:59 PM
What do they base the Tarrifs on? How much you spend?

mearstrae
03-19-2015, 05:32 PM
If I remember right you're allowed $500 USD in purchases, per month, before you have to pay a percentage in import tax. Some time ago i purchased a Fairy overdrive for my LT95 and it took only four days to receive it and no import tax.

'99 Disco
'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

ignotus
03-20-2015, 11:06 AM
During the last 4 years, quite a few UK purchases, the ones with "late fees" have all come when TNT Express shipping has been used. Ashcroft, CWS, and Blanchards. Never either of the 'addocks, Steve Parker, Dingocroft, Brit-car. CWS told me that they have a contract with TNT and get 50% off so cheaper to ship, to which I countered that I still pay that 50% on the back end.

As an aside it make it alot easier to find parts using the number from the parts book, and on the bad end I figure I have waited around 3-4 months total time over the last 4 years on parts, week here-week there....

cedryck
03-20-2015, 12:28 PM
Good information. I agree the military stuff seems easier to find over there, always curious though why is some of it so expensive.

mearstrae
03-20-2015, 03:07 PM
Most of my heavier UK purchases ship by DHL, and usually get here faster than things I order from California.

'99 Disco II
'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S