PDA

View Full Version : Is a Fairey OD noisy?

awdbandito
03-17-2015, 04:06 PM
I'm a first time owner of a '68 88" with a Fairey OD. When I engage the OD, it is noisy. When on or off the throttle it whines (gear noise). Is this normal? If I am coasting in gear but with no load on the gears then it doesn't have the noise.

I was thinking of going to a gear oil like Redline Shockproof or something of that nature to see if it got quieter.

Any input is welcomed.

Thanks.

superstator
03-17-2015, 04:17 PM
The thrust bearings burn up, and you get that noise. It can be ungodly loud, and unfortunately it's usually impossible to repair as once the bearings are that bad the housing itself will have too much wear to be saved. But if you're optimistic you can try sending it George at RDS and he'll give you a verdict on rebuildability.

edit to add: The loud under load, quiet coasting is a classic symptom. The way the intermediate gear in the transfer case is cut, load under throttle or even just steady power puts rearward pressure on the shaft of the Fairey, and ultimately onto those thrust bearings. Deceleration in gear reverses the load, pulling the shaft forwards and unloading the bearings.

slowmo
03-17-2015, 05:00 PM
I too am a fairly new owner, 1970 Series IIa, 88. When I first drove mine I made so much noise I doubt I could have heard a water buffalo in heat, playing bag pipes, with Rosie O'Donnell riding it bareback, playing the trombone, much less a noisy OD.

I cinched down the floor screws which were all loose, put in floor mats and it was much better. Then I could hear the water buffalo in heat, playing bag pipes, with Rosie O'Donnell riding it bareback, playing the trombone so I kicked them out of my truck. Before freaking out about the loudness, I would make sure everything is cinched down.

The fact is a Series Rover is very loud. But at least it is also very slow.

Manny
03-17-2015, 06:21 PM
Check your oil level. Fairey have a very small oil reservoir and tend to get loud when the level is low. I check my level every two weeks when I drive it daily.