PDA

View Full Version : Radiator

rbbailey
03-21-2015, 12:08 AM
OK, so I have an original type radiator in my '65 IIa. At least, I think it is. It has the flat top with the lateral "stripes"... if you know what I mean.

Anyway, It had several leaks in it a few years back. I took it to a local shop, a good place, had them refurb it and patch holes, etc... I had it sitting in my garage for about a year. Then one year ago, I finally got it back into the truck and I have put about 1000+ miles on it.

Now it is leaking worse than ever. Several small leaks, and one big one sending coolant out and down the fan shroud.

Aside from going back to the shop and seeing about some kind of discount on a redo (obviously the warranty is over, but maybe I can talk to them about cutting me a break -- the paint on the thing still looks new.) Am I asking too much of this old thing? It seems in good shape, and it does keep the engine cool. Is it worth trying to fix one of these, or should I try a swap?

Problem with a swap is it seems no one carries this particular type. How much more trouble am I going to have with a swap? Same mounting points? Same hoses? What else would I need to know about using the type that RN has in stock?

SafeAirOne
03-21-2015, 06:41 AM
I wouldn't have the radiator shop "patch it up" but rather have them completely re-core it, where they remove all existing tubes and fins and put brand new ones on (presuming it's your desire to keep the old-style radiator).

Otherwise, I'd just get a new radiator.

clearcut
03-21-2015, 11:03 AM
On my 1967 109, I had the same flat top radiator. I bought a new one from RN for my 6 2.6L 6 cly. Was rather expensive for my model.

Very well made. It came with 4 cores, like my old one. My old shroud fit the out side edges, but we had to mount it lower by 3/4 inch
for the fan not to hit the inside edges of the shroud. 107211072210723

I will cut a piece of sheet medal to cover the opening at the top of the shroud

Next is to follow Mark view of a total rebuid of the old one some day in the future, not a patch job

josh

Buck
03-27-2015, 02:28 PM
cat

cedryck
03-27-2015, 03:05 PM
That's discouraging that the shops work failed so soon. I took my truck bronze top 4 core to a shop, it stayed there 1 year, because I told the guy I was not in a hurry, they did a fantastic job on it. Not one leak, not one drop. I would show him how dissatisfied you are, and bargain, just saying, cheers,