PDA

View Full Version : Series III Blower Motor

RoverKid_1972
03-24-2015, 10:32 AM
Hi, all!
This is my first post on here and it is regarding the blower motor on my Series III. I tested the electrical connection and everything is A-OK. But still the motor doesn't run, and I'm wondering if it is possible to repair or if I just need to replace it entirely. If it is repairable, please let me know how!
Thanks!

Here is the blower:1073010731107321073310734:thumb-up:

lumpydog
03-24-2015, 12:55 PM
That's a two speed blower. The way it works is that the Green/Yellow wire runs power through a coil resistor (you can see it inside the blower) and then to the brown line supplying power to the motor. The green/brown wire is a direct tie into the brown line - which (as mentioned) runs power to the blower. The green/brown and green/yellow wires run to a three position switch (off, low, high) that runs power through one of the two wires to the blower.

With the switch to high, the green/brown wire is the source of power and bypasses the resistor, giving full power directly to the blower. With the switch on low, the green/yellow wire is the source of power and it runs through the resistor, giving partial power to the blower.

Points of failure on these blowers are with the resistor (you can only get high power) and with the motor itself. You can test the motor with a 12V battery. Ground the black wire to the battery's negative terminal. Briefly touch the green/brown wire to the battery's positive terminal. You should get high speed. If you get no rotation, the motor needs repair. Briefly touch the green/yellow wire to the battery's positive terminal. You should get a slower speed. If you get no rotation, the resistor needs to be replaced.

Good blog on repairing these motors here (http://mud4fun.com/2012/11/25/repairing-the-heater-motor-series-3-type/).

Post some pictures of your truck! And, welcome to the forum!!

RoverKid_1972
03-24-2015, 02:19 PM
Thanks a ton for this; it is very helpful! When I go home this weekend, I will try to resolve the issue and I will let you know how it went. I'll also be sure to upload some photos of the beast!

lumpydog
03-24-2015, 04:15 PM
Awesome - looking forward to hearing about it. You're in the right place ;-)

o2batsea
03-24-2015, 04:41 PM
If it is dead, moss motors has them:
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29270&SortOrder=40#3

RoverKid_1972
03-24-2015, 05:56 PM
@o2batsea Thanks for the link, but I think I'll try fixing it before shelling out 90 bucks.

triumphtr7guy
03-26-2015, 10:11 AM
These are a standard Lucas blower motor, used in Triumphs, MGs and most other Brit vehicles of the same age, shouldnt be too hard to source on from either the internet or through swap meets. Good hunting!!!

Bruce

RoverKid_1972
03-27-2015, 03:13 PM
Any idea if I could purchase just the squirrel cage alone, or does it have to come with the entire motor?

Les Parker
03-27-2015, 04:47 PM
RN has this in stock. Metal one so it wont explode like the plastic ones do.

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=35610&type=0&eq=&key=it

Les Parker
03-27-2015, 04:48 PM
Also this, if you need it all :-

http://www.roversnorth.com/Products.aspx?gsearch=35595k

RoverKid_1972
03-28-2015, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the links, Les! Unfortunately, I am a poor college student and will likely go for a cheap platic part from ebay. Thanks anyway!

RoverKid_1972
03-28-2015, 09:20 PM
So I'm in the process of restoring the motor and I need some advice as to how the heck to remove these plates that contain the bearings so that I can clean them. The first photo is that of the end cap for the motor casing. And the second photo is of the other half of the casing which the shaft runs through.1074110742
Thanks again for all the help!

lumpydog
03-29-2015, 06:56 AM
A couple thoughts:

1) Reach out to the guy that writes the blog I linked to and ask him for advice.

2) Those bearings look like closed units and may not be meant to come apart (blog guy can help there since he was able to get his out). You may consider trying to just pull out the bearing as a unit to soak in gas or replace with a new bearing altogether.

3) if the bearings aren't siezed, try cleaning them in place by soaking them in gas letting them dry and relubricating with a bearing oil.

RoverKid_1972
03-29-2015, 01:55 PM
A couple thoughts:

1) Reach out to the guy that writes the blog I linked to and ask him for advice.

2) Those bearings look like closed units and may not be meant to come apart (blog guy can help there since he was able to get his out). You may consider trying to just pull out the bearing as a unit to soak in gas or replace with a new bearing altogether.

3) if the bearings aren't siezed, try cleaning them in place by soaking them in gas letting them dry and relubricating with a bearing oil.

I've corresponded with the blogger and I believe I've resolved the issue. Thanks again, lumpydog for helping out a struggling newbie!

lumpydog
03-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Kid - you bet. What's the early diagnosis on the blower? Sounds like a seized bearing if you're trying to pull them. Did you find a replacement squirrel cage?

RoverKid_1972
03-29-2015, 05:34 PM
I did find a squirrel cage. Another user pointed me in the right direction for an inexpensive metal one. Unfortunately, after all was said and done, I managed to ruin the retaining plate which contains the bearing while attempting to put the copper bearing back in place. So unless I can find a retaining plate to replace the broken one, I think I'm looking at buying a new one. I was told that I can buy non-Rover motors from an auto store such as Napa or AutoZone that would fit and also save me a considerable amount of dough. Any thoughts?

lumpydog
03-29-2015, 05:45 PM
I have a Smiths single speed blower that I'm happy to donate. You can use it for parts to get your current one running. We're both in MA. I work in Wakefield. Let me know if you want it. PM me.