PDA

View Full Version : Another clutch question

MJL
04-01-2015, 01:57 PM
Haven't used by Ser III in 4 - 5 weeks. Everything was fine when I last parked it. Got in it today, started right up, but when I depressed the clutch there was no resistance at all in the pedal - it just went straight to the floor. Master cylinder reservoir is full so no leaks. Hoping it's an hydraulic problem. If so how do I go about isolating it to master or slave cylinder?

Thanks
Mike

MJL
04-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Just tried loosening the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder and had my daughter depress the clutch pedal and I got a healthy spurt of fluid. So I would think things are ok at the master cylinder end - true?

Is there a seal in the slave cylinder that could have blown w/o causing a leak at that end? Anyway to check or do I have to pull it?

SafeAirOne
04-01-2015, 03:09 PM
My first thought would be to bleed the system (it's essentially self-bleeding if you open up the bleeder and let the fluid flow for a few minutes while keeping the reservoir topped-up).

Also, is the drain plug removed from the bottom of the transmission adapter, allowing any leakage to drain out of the clutch area?

MJL
04-01-2015, 05:05 PM
Just tried a quick bleed and now there is some resistance. Tried starting it and it does move. I'll leave it till the weekend and see if it deteriorates. If not I'll do a full flush and refill.

The drain plug is not installed and no sign of a leak. What could cause this?

Thanks for the advice

Mike

LaneRover
04-02-2015, 06:00 AM
What do you mean by drain plug?

From what you said there could be air in the system or a seal in the master or slave cylinder that is just letting fluid by. If you can pinch off the flexible line going to the slave you could determine if it is the master cylinder. There are special tools or methods you can use to avoid damaging the line itself.

I had a clutch master cylinder that went and received two masters in a row that upon initial installation seemed to have good pedal pressure. But if you held your foot on the pedal it would slowly go to the floor. I have a feeling that a seal had been put in backwards (if that's possible) on a batch of master cylinders. I have since installed a master that is good.

SafeAirOne
04-02-2015, 04:57 PM
What do you mean by drain plug?

The drain plug on the bottom of the transmission adapter.

MJL
04-29-2015, 04:09 PM
Finally got around to doing some more work on this problem. I replaced the flex hose in the clutch hydraulic line and also put in a new slave cylinder, although the old one showed no sign of leakage when I removed it. Prior to removing the flex hose I clamped it and had a hard pedal - so the MC should be OK. Bled the system and initially there was no improvement at all. After repeated attempts at bleeding I dug out my old mightyvac and tried it with that. It is at least driveable now but the clutch does not feel as stiff as before and engages almost as soon as the pedal is off the floor.

It will have to do until I have more time to spend on it.

Mike

Opabob
06-28-2015, 06:24 PM
The clutch is the latest issue in my truck that demands attention. I have similar symptoms, but am reluctant to start replacing parts until I can get a diagnosis. About this pinching of the hose, I was thinking maybe two pieces of PVC pipe cut length-wise and vice grips. Any other recommendations on best way to clamp the hose?

I Leak Oil
06-28-2015, 07:22 PM
The drain plug on the bottom of the transmission adapter.

You're such a novice Mark....it's a "wading plug".

ignotus
06-28-2015, 08:22 PM
Noobs.......not a transmission adapter either, a flywheel housing.:cool:

SafeAirOne
06-28-2015, 09:21 PM
You're such a novice Mark....it's a "wading plug".

While I can't argue the novice part, check out P/N 3290:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/410/19255783481_91f030107a_z.jpg

Noobs.......not a transmission adapter either, a flywheel housing.:cool:

I used to call it a flywheel housing till I saw it referred to as a transmission adapter in my WSM or Parts Catalogue. Of course, now when I look it up in the factory books, all references to that particular part call it a flywheel housing. I think it's pretty obvious that someone has surreptitiously changed the wording in my books just to mess with me. ;)