PDA

View Full Version : Loss of power

bigcountry
04-06-2015, 10:39 AM
Hello all,

New to the forum, awesome info and am very happy with the service and products I have received from RN... quick question?? Over the last six months I have felt dramatic power loss in My Series III, Im not much of a mechanic and down here in Costa Rica its better to go to the Mech with what may be the issue instead of them trying to find it out.., if you all have any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance....

TeriAnn
04-07-2015, 09:56 AM
First thing to do.is check your point gap. Slipped points cause this symptom.

While you are there check the points. cap and rotor for wear. And check your vacuum advance to make sure it is working. This is easily done with the distributor cap removed. Just disconnect the vacuum advance line at the base of the carburetor and put a vacuum to the end (suck on it if you do not have the tools). You should see the distributor platform move to advance the spark. Keep the vacuum on the distributor for about a minute. If the advance plate moves back to the initial location you have a leak that needs to be addressed. If the advance plate does not advance under vacuum then you either have a very bad vacuum leak or a frozen advance plate.

bigcountry
04-07-2015, 10:27 AM

While you are there check the points. cap and rotor for wear. And check your vacuum advance to make sure it is working. This is easily done with the distributor cap removed. Just disconnect the vacuum advance line at the base of the carburetor and put a vacuum to the end (suck on it if you do not have the tools). You should see the distributor platform move to advance the spark. Keep the vacuum on the distributor for about a minute. If the advance plate moves back to the initial location you have a leak that needs to be addressed. If the advance plate does not advance under vacuum then you either have a very bad vacuum leak or a frozen advance plate.

Thank you much, I do greatly appreciate your time to respond, very awesome. I am going to Mechanic on Monday, will take this info to him....Well first try and translate into Spanish hehe.. Will keep posted Thank you again...

o2batsea
04-07-2015, 11:47 AM
....Well first try and translate into Spanish hehe..
I thought everyone in Costa Rica was an ex-pat.

bigcountry
04-07-2015, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=o2batsea;103602]I thought everyone in Costa Rica was an ex-pat.[/QU

There are quite a few of us, although services such as mechanics and such are still Tico owned. My Spanish is good but conversational only, tech stuff is out of my league.

fly cubs
04-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Also, make sure the accelerator pinch bolt is not loose causing the carb to not open up all of the way when pedal pressed all the way down.

bigcountry
04-19-2015, 09:18 AM

Great thank you, Your sight is awesome, really good stuff, Thank you again.