PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise while running

hinxrover
04-07-2015, 11:24 AM
I have had my series 2A for a while now and just beginning to get started on doing some work or being able to problem solve on my own. I have recently bought some tools, but starting experience wise from square -1

My 1970 2A is making strange noise when I am going down hills and have no pressure applied to the gas pedal. When I shift into neutral and the car is out of gear, still travelling down hill, the noise stops. It is the same whenever I am running and there is no pressure on the driveshaft.

any ideas ???

Les Parker
04-07-2015, 02:52 PM
Can you be more specific on the type of noise?
Could be drive shaft U/j s, clutch bearing or any amount of different components.

hinxrover
04-07-2015, 03:05 PM
It almost sounds like a loose fan blade rattling, but its under the car. When I take it out of gear it completely stops. If I take my foot of the gas and there is no pressure on the drive shaft it makes the noise. If it is the u/js do you think I would be able to feel play in it if I put it up on stands ?

mearstrae
04-08-2015, 07:32 AM
Does sound like UJ's or worn splines. put it up on stands and try to twist the drive shaft back and forth in your hands and look for movement at either end.

'99 Disco II
'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybris 109
'70 Rover 3500S