PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Pumping

tkneese
04-07-2015, 07:15 PM
I recently replaced my clutch slave and master cylinder, bled the system numerous times but still the clutch won't disengage unless I pump the clutch pretty quickly. I'm assuming this means there's still air in the system? Thanks for any advice!

o2batsea
04-08-2015, 05:25 AM
Sounds like, yup.

mearstrae
04-08-2015, 07:25 AM
Or possibly a bad master cyl.

'99 Disco II
'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

fly cubs
04-08-2015, 09:19 AM
Bad Master Cylinder that is allowing air into the system on each pump. I just fought this battle with a new brake master cylinder. Replaced it with another new one and all OK.

esquivelia
04-21-2015, 09:56 AM
I had the same issue. I ended up using a ford bronco (I think bronco II) master cylinder. It just needs a spacer in the throw rod to make contact. Maybe search for bronc master cylinder in the forums. I think I read about it on the forums here.

Just a thought. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Les Parker
04-21-2015, 01:24 PM
Clamp off the jump hose with suitable clamp to protect the rubber. If you still have a rubbish pedal, the fault is in the Master cyliner. If rock solid pedal, as it should be, the fault lies in the slave.

Hope this helps.

TeriAnn
04-22-2015, 09:20 AM
Clamp off the jump hose with suitable clamp to protect the rubber. If you still have a rubbish pedal, the fault is in the Master cyliner. If rock solid pedal, as it should be, the fault lies in the slave.

Hope this helps.

Excellent advice. But alternatively you may have an air bubble that just doesn't want to leave. back when I had stock SII clutch hydraulic routing I once went through a quart of brake fluid in a vain attempt to get all the air out. The only sure fire thing that worked for me was to pressure bleed the clutch. I also pressure bled the brakes to assure all the air was out.

Artificer
04-23-2015, 05:14 PM
How much did you pay for the pressure bleed kit, or do you have a link?

TeriAnn
04-23-2015, 11:32 PM
How much did you pay for the pressure bleed kit, or do you have a link?

Sorry, but I bought it in the early 1980's well before there were links. Try doing a web search on "Pressure bleeders"

I like the colour of your LR.

Artificer
04-24-2015, 09:31 PM
I like the colour of your LR.

It seems like everyone except me likes the color. A previous owner painted it pink and unfortunately for me they did a really good job, so I'd have to take apart the whole body to bring her back to an original color.

TeriAnn
04-25-2015, 09:36 AM
It seems like everyone except me likes the color. A previous owner painted it pink and unfortunately for me they did a really good job, so I'd have to take apart the whole body to bring her back to an original color.

Or you could get a lighter colour pink and use it to paint a camouflage pink pattern and put SAS markings on the side. Or you could label it as a woman's clothing sale assault vehicle ;) Have fun with it.

I still think it is cute