PDA

View Full Version : undercoating a series truck

cedryck
04-10-2015, 11:28 AM
When I purchased my very used, ailing ex mod, this 88 was clearly undercoated, with what seemed like a tar based black, thick undercoating that protected well in some areas, (I used a paint scraper to remove it and found shiny, new metal underneath) or, did not protect so well, when removing I found a significant amount of rusted metal. Is it still a popular thing to do after a restoration? If so, who has a suggestion on the product to use? Cheers,,,

TedW
04-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Just my $0.02: Waxoyl from our hosts. I bought my truck in '91 - it had the original frame, but with a replaced rear bumper. Otherwise in very nice shape. I waxoyled it inside and out (ESPECIALLY inside the frame - very critical) and have experienced no rust since then. I live on the Maine coast, so we get salt from just about everywhere, which makes rust prevention critical. You need to touch it up occasionally, but it's no big deal. RN has all the kool bits you need to do a nice job.

There are a number of quality products out there (Fluid Film is very popular here with the saltwater boating crowd), but IMO Waxoyl is terrific.

Just my opinion - others may have had different experiences.

Ted

cedryck
04-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Interesting> I understand after years of being a roverhaulic, that it is important for the inside of the frame, waxoyl products, yes,
but have been curious about treatment for the underside (outside) of the frame,
I used this rubbery stuff from NAPA and lined the inside of two fenders that I took off to paint, blue can, cannot remember the name, but it covered really nice.