PDA

View Full Version : valve cover gasket bolts

cbwhitley
07-01-2007, 12:46 PM
What size are the valve cover gasket bolts. Thought they were 9mm but did not fit...are they torques??? The left bank is leaking ( facing the front of the truck) a little too much onto the manifold. Is this gasket very difficult to replace? .. Looks like the fuel lines are fed above it along with the heater core feed lines. Is it possible to just tighten them and see if that is all it takes to stop the leaking or does it have to be replaced? Going on vacation in 2 weeks and this might be a little too much smoke to handle ... Any help would be appreciated

96 Disco I

130,000 Miles

sven
07-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Its a 8mm 12 point socket that you need.

DarthSnoopy
02-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Its a 8mm 12 point socket that you need.
And where does someone find a 8MM 12 point deep socket for the two closer to the VC?
I have a shallow which just barely got the outer two but no local parts store stock a 8MM deep.

Terrys
02-16-2010, 10:49 AM
And where does someone find a 8MM 12 point deep socket
Sears

DarthSnoopy
02-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Sears
I ordered one online.... closest sear is almost 2 hours away.
Called the local auto parts suppliers and no one had one.
Snap-On made an extra deep 8MM at one time but it's no longer aval.
K-D tools offered on for $2.44 but I had to spend $10.00 before I could place the order... so... I got 2 just in case.

SGFMORover
02-20-2010, 06:30 PM
got mine at sears... saw one at an ace hardware awhile back.... did mine last year... really not too bad 2 hours (4 beers) tops and I replaced the heater hoses while I was at it. if I recall I spent most of my time cleaning the mating surfaces... have something adequate on hand for the job and its easier, I improvised with a plastic scraper and some laq thinner.