PDA

View Full Version : starter motor removal on series 2a

avfromvt
04-26-2015, 02:44 PM
I have the starter free from the block and the exhaust unbolted at the manifold but i can not get the starter out past the engine mount, the dipstick and stering shaft seem to be in the way amongst other things, is there any trick to this? there simply isn't enough room.

avfromvt
04-26-2015, 03:13 PM

lumpydog
04-26-2015, 04:04 PM
With the exhaust down pipe disconnected, you need to tilt/rotate the starter so that the starter gear is pointing up to the sky and pull it down from under the vehicle.

avfromvt
04-26-2015, 05:50 PM
The driveshaft to the winch is blocking it I will have to disconnect it i guess.

ignotus
04-26-2015, 11:32 PM
might be easier to take off the intake/exhaust manifolds next time.

lumpydog
04-27-2015, 10:23 AM
The driveshaft to the winch is blocking it I will have to disconnect it i guess.

I was wondering what that was. I don't have one of those…

slowmo
04-27-2015, 11:55 AM
Looks like a Koening winch. I have one as well. If you haven't had it off for a while it won't be that easy. Loosen the hex nuts on both ends of the joint at the power take off. Spray with lots of lubricant and then you'll have to pound the joint back from the power take-off axle to free it. Then there is a support just aft of the bell housing on the frame. You'll have to remove those two bolts and then you should be able to swing the shaft away far enough to extract the starter. Hard to do from underneath. My sympathies.

avfromvt
04-27-2015, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the help i took out the two bolts that secure the winch driveshaft to the frame and then removed the shaft from the pto and disconnected it at the winch. You can then slide the entire pto shaft out the front with some coaxing. The starter then drops down. I was digging around in my parts bin and found an old starter it looked ancient. Hooked it up and it works great. :D Thanks for the help

lumpydog
04-27-2015, 10:54 PM
Nice work! Check that the old starter's bearings are lubricated, the commutator is clean and the brushes have some length/life left in them... Otherwise you'll be doing the job again soon :-)

LaneRover
04-29-2015, 10:59 AM
Though I don't have a winch what has worked for me in the past is to turn the steering all the way to one side (I forget which way) so that the arm coming from the steering box is a far forward as possible. That has given me enough room to get the starter out either from below or from above.