PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat optional in hot climates?

chilidavid
04-27-2015, 03:44 PM
Getting hotter by the day here in south Florida. The needle on my 2.25 engine temp gauge usually stops around the mid-point (in the normal range), but since the temps are hitting over 90 degrees lately, the white needle climbs up to about 75 percent of the way toward the "red zone" on the gauge face. Note: New radiator (from RN), new hoses, new thermostat and gasket, fresh 50/50 coolant yearly.

And my plugs are always dry, with a light brown tint. And I'm running a new Zenith (from RN) which I absolutely love. I keep my original 36IV"e" under the seat for a spare.)

Question: Does anyone run their daily driver - in hotter climates - WITHOUT a thermostat? And would this allow my engine to run slightly cooler during the hottest time of the day - on my drive home from work.

Thanks.

o2batsea
04-27-2015, 04:08 PM
You're fine. Don't over think it.

lumpydog
04-27-2015, 04:48 PM
The thermostat is there to help the engine quickly reach operating temperature. Without it, it takes longer to warm up - not great for engine wear, emissions, etc. You can purchase a thermostat that opens at a higher temperature, which has the engine run a little warmer - great up North for trying to heat your Rover's cabin.

Running without a thermostat won't really make the engine run cooler - it will just make it take longer to heat up to the operating temperature that it would have otherwise reached anyway. You can purchase 74, 82 and 88 degree celsius thermostats. My guess is the 74 degree thermostat is just below normal operating temperature (the engine will eventually get there with or without the thermostat - the 74 degree thermostat just gets it there faster and stays open) and the other hotter opening thermostats (82, 88) likely open later and alternate between closed and opened during operation to have the engine running slightly hotter to facilitate cabin heating.

I'd leave yours as is - or at least make sure you have a 74 degree celsius thermostat installed.

LRover74
04-27-2015, 07:11 PM
Had same issue once.it was the temp.sensor.

chilidavid
04-27-2015, 07:21 PM
Got it. Makes sense.

Guess I'll just have to get used to the temp gauge sitting closer to the red zone on the hottest days. Oh...and I did check to see which thermostat I'm currently using - its a 74c unit (165f) which is made for summer conditions. All is well, or as good as it's going to get.

Thanks for the input. And if my temp. gauge goes haywire, and jumps into the red zone, I'll focus on the temp. sender too before panicking (which is what I usually do first).

lumpydog
04-27-2015, 10:46 PM
If your gas gauge is not accurate as well, suspect the voltage stabilizer. Small piece behind he dash panel that "stabilizes" the voltage supply to both the temp gauge and fuel gauge. Voltage stabilizer should be outputting an average of 10 volts (as measured on an analog voltmeter - digital voltmeters cannot read a voltage stabilizer's output as the stabilizer "buzzes" on/off to an average 10 volts).

Anyway, if the voltage stabilizer is not supplying the correct average voltage, it can mess up both gauges. If the fuel gauge is accurate, consider the temp sensor or the gauge itself - in that order.