PDA

View Full Version : Series IIa with no Wipers!

emicola
05-06-2015, 01:25 PM
I recently purchased a 64 IIA that doesn't have any wiper motors or holes below the windshield. I was going to purchase a pair of refurbished Lucas motors if i could find them. But I've been told not to wast my time as the original wipers are terrible and I should install a newer Series III or defender setup. It also happens to be a cheaper option. I'm looking for a little help with this. Has anyone upgraded their early model II A to this setup?

o2batsea
05-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Well, first of all you should stop listening to this voice whoever it is telling you to hack up your 2A.
Series 2A was the pinnacle of Land Rover and the archetype safari vehicle. Everything that has come along since is not as good.
So turning to the wipers, there's nothing particularly bad about the individual Lucas wipers. The thing is that the original arms have very weak tension springs, which doesn't provide enough push of the blade against the glass. That is overcome by purchasing wiper arms with manly springs. Compounding the problem, the original style arms won't let you fit "good" modern type wiper blades; you're stuck with crappy ones that cost the moon. So go with OE style wiper motors but change the arms and you're golden.
These things come up fairly often on ebay UK. I bought a spare set for abiout 20 pounds and it was another 9 to ship.
Change the mounting studs to stainless. Buy Ike's reproduction rubber gaskets. Take them apart and put in new grease. Get the stainless rest thingamajigs they sell on ebay UK. Get the adapters that let you mount standard Trico arms (I use full stainless marine ones that are adjustable length I got at Jamestown Distributors) and then get the shorty wiper blades. I think they are 11 inch.
That should do the trick and keep you in more or less original config.

SafeAirOne
05-06-2015, 06:01 PM
How bad must IIA wipers be if SIII wipers are comparatively "good"? :sly:

siii8873
05-06-2015, 07:40 PM
I have had both types and both run like crap when the lubricant dries out and work pretty good when grease is fresh.

I installed a SII bulkhead in my late IIa and did convert the bulkhead to the late IIA/III wiper system. It is a PITA locating the holes for the wiper shafts and locating the hole for the drive shaft tube/ wiper motor on left side of the bulkhead. I would get a good pattern to do these if you go that way.

Usually if you disassemble the gear box side of the individual wipers, clean and replace with new grease they work fairly well. Also have the option of hand operation if all else fails.

emicola
05-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Thank you for the feedback and the advice. I don't want to hack up my 2A, I just need to install some windshield wipers. One of the previous owners removed them and I'm just looking for the best option and as you can see from the pictures I have nothing to work with. Either way I'll be doing some drilling and I thought I would be easier to drill one hole below each window instead of 3 holes through each window frame.

SafeAirOne
05-06-2015, 10:23 PM
Of course there's always the "Rainex" option.

o2batsea
05-07-2015, 07:07 AM
Thank you for the feedback and the advice. I don't want to hack up my 2A, I just need to install some windshield wipers. One of the previous owners removed them and I'm just looking for the best option and as you can see from the pictures I have nothing to work with. Either way I'll be doing some drilling and I thought I would be easier to drill one hole below each window instead of 3 holes through each window frame.

Don't drill your windscreen. I'll send you a windscreen that has the holes if you pay shipping.

PS There's some good Rover chrome under all that paint. That's one project that won't cost much and will HUGELY improve the look of the truck...that is to strip the paint and regalvanized the parts.

PPS by the look of things you are somewhere that palm trees grow. Are you in FL? Several Series freex down there.

emicola
05-07-2015, 08:26 AM
Thanks! I will take you up on that offer. Does the glass come out easily? I can't figure out why someone would have done away with the wipers, sunny day driver? This is a Land Rover! I was thinking that I would take some of the paint off the trim around the rear and corners. I'll probably drive it for the summer and see what else pops up, I'm sure something will need attention. I actually live in CT, the 2A is coming from Tampa.

o2batsea
05-07-2015, 08:37 AM
I'm in the DC burbs, in fact just a short way off I-95. If you don't mind RURR, maybe someone can bring it up your way. LOTS of Rover peeps between here and CT that can pick it up. Or it can go via fastenal.

SafeAirOne
05-07-2015, 11:46 AM
I can't figure out why someone would have done away with the wipers, sunny day driver?

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say that the windshield frame came from a Rover with a single wiper motor system and the bulkhead belongs to a rover that originally had two individual wipers in the windshield frame. Lots of part interchangeability over the different series.

emicola
05-07-2015, 03:16 PM
The RURR sounds great. I'm new to all this, how do we find a willing partner headed north on 95?

Andrew IIA
05-16-2015, 07:35 AM
Of course there's always the "Rainex" option.

RainX all the way. IIA wipers are mostly ornamental.

chuckstp
05-16-2015, 05:03 PM
I just spend last night and this morning troubleshooting and repairing the wiper motors on my IIA. There were two interesting problems. The first is I noticed the arms tended to flop when changing direction. You can see this by taking the blade off the windshield and see how much play is in the arm. I took them apart, and there are two set screws which hold the arm to the shaft but had cut groves and allowed them to spin on the shaft. I took a small grinder and made indentations which allow the set screws to seat themselves in the shaft.

On one of the motors, I noticed what appeared to be tiny solder balls, which is what they turned out to be. Apparently at some point, it got warm enough to melt the solder on the commutator of the rotor. The problem I was having with this one motor is it stopped working, but I found if I rotated the rotor, then it would start. After a few times, it wouldn't run again. I think either one of the coils no longer made a complete circuit either due to a dirty commutator or open solder joint. After removing it, I cleaned the commutator with a Dremel using a wire brush and with a large tip on my iron, re-soldered the winding to the commutator. Now it seems to be running well again.

o2batsea
05-16-2015, 09:06 PM
I just spend last night and this morning troubleshooting and repairing the wiper motors on my IIA. There were two interesting problems. The first is I noticed the arms tended to flop when changing direction. You can see this by taking the blade off the windshield and see how much play is in the arm. I took them apart, and there are two set screws which hold the arm to the shaft but had cut groves and allowed them to spin on the shaft. I took a small grinder and made indentations which allow the set screws to seat themselves in the shaft.

On one of the motors, I noticed what appeared to be tiny solder balls, which is what they turned out to be. Apparently at some point, it got warm enough to melt the solder on the commutator of the rotor. The problem I was having with this one motor is it stopped working, but I found if I rotated the rotor, then it would start. After a few times, it wouldn't run again. I think either one of the coils no longer made a complete circuit either due to a dirty commutator or open solder joint. After removing it, I cleaned the commutator with a Dremel using a wire brush and with a large tip on my iron, re-soldered the winding to the commutator. Now it seems to be running well again.

At least you don't have the original arms that are held on with jam nuts. For a country that sees a lot of rain you'd think the British would have some pretty darn good windshield wipers, but you'd be wrong

Partsman
05-17-2015, 07:24 AM
If it were my Rover, I'd take Bill up on his very generous offer on the wind screen and install the original type motors. There are several websites on rebuilding the motors, but you wouldn't need a rebuild if you're getting rebuilt, just open the gear section and make sure you have a nice light grease in there and not the old dried up stuff from the factory. these motors work just fine when they are maintained and greased.