PDA

View Full Version : Wipers and turn signals died

IIA
05-11-2015, 07:29 PM
I started my 1970 IIA this morning to go to work, flipped on the wipers to clear the morning dew...and they died standing at attention, pointing to 12 o'clock. Later I noticed that the turn signals no longer work either. It's not the fuse. Can anyone suggest where to start? I'm assuming they're related because both worked until very recently.

siii8873
05-11-2015, 07:43 PM
the only common connection for the turn signals and wipers is the fuse or the feed from from the fuse. Assumes stock wiring. Test fuse to be sure.

Partsman
05-12-2015, 08:58 AM
Also clean the contacts for the fuse. I've found this would help the times this same thing happened to me.

LaneRover
05-12-2015, 10:10 AM
Also clean the contacts for the fuse. I've found this would help the times this same thing happened to me.

Totally agree with this. I have found that some emory or 600grit sandpaper wrapped around a pencil works well - if of course it is still the glass tubes fuses . . .

bugeye88
05-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Always check for good grounds first! Sometimes its a poor ground that doesn't even appear to be part of that circuit, but is.

Rob
68 Bugeye 88

IIA
05-12-2015, 05:27 PM
Always check for good grounds first! Sometimes its a poor ground that doesn't even appear to be part of that circuit, but is.

I cleaned the fuse and holder and now the turn signal works (though I think it just decided to work on its own). But the wipers are still dead as a doornail. I disconnected the wires at the motor and there's power there. How do I check the ground?

I also forgot to mention that I recently opened up the motor to regrease it. It worked great afterwards but I'm hoping I didn't do something to it. If the motor was fried would I hear or smell something?

siii8873
05-12-2015, 07:47 PM
hook up a temporary ground from the black lead to a good ground or even negative terminal to the battery to test if it is a ground problem.

bugeye88
05-12-2015, 10:38 PM
Find the grounds, all the ones you can see, loosen them, clean them up until there is clean metal, tighten em up. This is key in all the electrical connections on your Landy. The electrics on these trucks is old and provide enough resistance in themselves not to have grounding points adding more resistance. Do this and you'll be surprised, brighter lights, wipers that work, better cranking, on and on.
Rover On!

Rob
Bugeye88

triumphtr7guy
05-13-2015, 07:34 AM
And a dab of dielectric grease wont hurt whilst you have them apart!!
From one who knows!!! the demons of Lucas are appeased with good grounding.

Bruce
TR 7 reconstruct to beging soon, 73 Landy waiting in the wings

Partsman
05-13-2015, 08:23 AM
And a dab of dielectric grease wont hurt whilst you have them apart!!
From one who knows!!! the demons of Lucas are appeased with good grounding.

Bruce
TR 7 reconstruct to beging soon, 73 Landy waiting in the wings

All hail Lord Lucas, Prince of Darkness!

TedW
05-13-2015, 10:30 AM
Why don't Lucas lights work?

Because gentlemen do not go motoring after dark.....

fly cubs
05-13-2015, 11:12 AM
Why don't Lucas lights work?

Because gentlemen do not go motoring after dark.....

Ha!

I'll throw another "check the grounding" onto the pile. Proper grounding seems to cure all that ails the electrical issues encountered on my Series truck.

IIA
05-13-2015, 04:16 PM
I've never used dielectric grease before. I did some searching on how to use it and most sites just say "apply it to the connectors." But isn't it too easy to get it on the metal parts that make the electrical connection? Wouldn't that insulate them?

triumphtr7guy
05-14-2015, 07:51 AM
nope, wont insulate, the grease in conductive?? or neutral and covers the connections and keeps the air away and prevents the corrosion. Just smear it on the connector/bolt up point and a bit of peace of mind is acheived. Used to be you could buy stuff like this at Radio Shack, but now that they are the phone stores, electrical support is non existent. Most auto parts stores will have some. Its like the yellow grease you see on the headlight plugs on the new cars.

IIA
05-28-2015, 11:00 PM
I've tested everything I can think of on the wiper motor. The ground was good, I tested the armature and all the wires and everything has continuity where it should and not where it shouldn't. The only thing I can think of is that the brushes are pretty worn down. I tried touching wires directly to the commutator where the brushes would touch but that didn't do anything (should it?). Can anyone recommend a good source of replacement brushes? Or other things to try?

chuckstp
05-29-2015, 04:48 AM
Don't forget, that continuity with a volt meter doesn't always mean you have a good connection. I've had plenty of times where the meter reads zero ohms, but when you attempt to pull some actual current through it, it doesn't work.

As far as cleaning terminals, I found something which works much better than trying to use a file or emery cloth. Using a Dremel tool with a stainless steel brush does a fantastic job. It cleans the surface to almost to a polish and doesn't create deep scratches into the metal. Most times it is just as easy to reach the contacts as it is with my fingers, sometimes even easier.