PDA

View Full Version : New Vibration

canyonero
05-19-2015, 11:57 AM
This morning while driving I noticed a new vibration that makes the whole car shudder. It happens regardless of gear selection or speed, rather it seems to come on at moderate throttle. With no acceleration it rolls normally, but once the RPMs start coming up everything shakes like a blender. Drive shafts? Axles? Transfer case?
Thanks

triumphtr7guy
05-19-2015, 12:10 PM
Any oil, well, new oil drips from the bell housing??? there was a previous thread about leaking rear main seal and dripping onto the flywheel/clutch.

cedryck
05-19-2015, 12:32 PM
Yes, check things that spin, flywheel, prop shafts, look for loose or worn susupension bushings, my D90 used to shake like the end of the world every once in a while at 65mph, turned out to be worn bushings,

lumpydog
05-19-2015, 12:56 PM
The vibration: Where do you feel it first/most? Steering wheel? Seat? Gas peddle?

Sounds like a counterweight maybe kicked on one of the things that spin. The feel of where it's starting or strongest will help diagnose.

o2batsea
05-19-2015, 02:25 PM
Classic symptom of bad u joint in drive shaft, but could be any one of several things. Is it sudden onset or has it been building slowly over a few weeks?

bugeye88
05-19-2015, 02:55 PM
I agree with @sea it sounds like a U joint. Also could be that 2 pinion diff becoming a 1 pinion diff. Maybe could be one of the big bearings in the Box O Gears going crap. Ahhh British engineering.

Cheers,
Rob
Bugeye88

Jeff Aronson
05-19-2015, 04:04 PM
This morning while driving I noticed a new vibration that makes the whole car shudder. It happens regardless of gear selection or speed, rather it seems to come on at moderate throttle. With no acceleration it rolls normally, but once the RPMs start coming up everything shakes like a blender. Drive shafts? Axles? Transfer case?
Thanks

From your description I'm assuming you mean that no matter what gear you're in, an increase in rpm results in this shudder.Is that right?

I would certainly start with the U-joints in the rear driveshaft. When was the last time you greased them? Is there any up/down or side to side movement? If so, it should be replaced. Another way to diagnose this would be to remove the rear driveshaft, push down the yellow lever, lock your front hubs, and drive it. If the shudder goes away, the problem is in that rear driveshaft.

Good luck and keep us appraised of what you find.

Jeff

LaneRover
05-19-2015, 08:08 PM
Or have you recently locked your hubs and are driving with them locked - but not in 4 wheel drive? That would explain a sudden start to the vibration (ask me how I know . . .)

canyonero
05-19-2015, 08:44 PM
Terrifyingly enough, the shudder has stopped. It did start after 10 minutes of driving, with no notice but not after any bumps or anything out of the ordinary. I am always much more concerned when something peeks it's head, and then disappears without actually being fixed, I am still still wrestling with a random non-roll back issue, but will keep posted if my new shuddering resurfaces, thanks to all.