PDA

View Full Version : Looking for impact driver advice

IIA
05-20-2015, 11:46 AM
I'm thinking of buying an impact driver or impact wrench (are they the same?) to remove frozen nuts and bolts. I don't have air so it would need to be electric/battery or manual. Obviously price is a consideration but I don't want something that'll break either. Any suggestions?

mearstrae
05-20-2015, 01:22 PM
Nope, impact drivers are struck with a hammer to loosen things. An impact wrench is powered. I've had good luck with Porter Cable and Milwaukee 110v electric. My impact driver is Snap-on. All in 1/2" drive.

'99 Disco II
'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

darbsclt
05-21-2015, 07:14 AM
Years ago, when I was looking for a new cordless drill, I purchased a Makita Hybrid (HERE (http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BTP140-Lithium-Ion-4-Function-Impact-Hammer-Driver-Drill/dp/B000K6JRZI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_469_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1XT3DS9ZNDD28QESCACV)).

It wasn't cheap... but for my purposes, it has worked flawlessly. From hanging drywall... to screwing in self-tappers... to drilling through a series bumper... to hammer-drilling lag bolts into brick... to impact tightening/loosening bolts. After 6+ years of home renovations and rover repair it remains my "go-to" hand tool... Oh, and the batteries still maintain a full charge.

As with most multi-tools... it won't perform every function as well as an individual dedicated tool, but it gets you 90% there. For my handyman/shadetree mechanic ambitions, that's just what I needed.

triumphtr7guy
05-21-2015, 08:43 AM
i got a Craftsman impact wrench, same reason, no air, works wonders, yes its corded but have lots of extension cords. Must have boutht it 5 or 6 years ago, no problems. Works like a charm when doing tire changes and has performed some small miracles on the Landy getting stuff that hasnt moved since 73 to let go its grip!!! my 2cents for what its worth.

chuckstp
05-22-2015, 05:55 AM
I got an impact driver at Advanced Auto. It has 4 screw driver bits, but the head comes off which has a fitting for 3/8" sockets. I haven't used it with a socket yet, but it is a necessity for removing wheel cylinders.

IIA
05-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Can you use regular sockets with an impact driver or do I need to buy something different?

mearstrae
05-22-2015, 11:57 AM
I've used both, regular (brand name) sockets on occasion (when the correct socket wasn't available) and impact sockets. But, impact sockets would be the best bet.

'99 Disco II
'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

cedryck
05-22-2015, 01:45 PM
Impacts are usually black, get yourself a set of them, I have a set of metric and standard, and are the sockets that take serious abuse.

triumphtr7guy
05-22-2015, 06:52 PM
if you are only using them once in a while, some of the ones like from Harbor Freight should suffice, if you start to use more regularly, look for a better name like Craftsman, have both brands and so far nothing has broken, got regular (small) from Craftsman and then needed some deep well and got some from Harbor Freight. So far, nothing has broken.