PDA

View Full Version : Fuel evaporation control and Rover Cleaner Air Package

IIA
05-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Does anybody know anything about the "Rover Cleaner Air Package" fitted on Series IIA sold in the US in 1970 or thereabouts? My model has plaque over the radiator saying I've got one. In particular, I'm interested in the fuel evaporation control and the charcoal filter canister that's part of it. I thought I'd poke around in it - I doubt the filter has been replaced in decades. But before I open it up, I'd like to know if there are replacement parts anywhere. I can't find any mention of it on the web. The only reference to it at all appears in the Haynes manual (page 3-11). It's not mentioned in the Repair Operation Manual.

ignotus
05-21-2015, 11:44 PM
I had a 73 88 Series 3. There was a vapor recovery tank in the wheelwell infront of the left rear tyre and the charcoal cannister in the engine bay. To quote the repair manual "Fuel tank evaporative emmissions are vented to an activated charcoal filled container where they are absorbed, then vented through a flame trap to the combustion air intake system during engine running as follows;...." The charcoal container is a replacement item, but I don't have a part #. There is a warning about using compressed air to clean it as the charcoal could ignite.
The diagram shows excess fuel tank vapor going to the expansion tank then to the charcoal container and then to the air intake.

HTH

MJL
05-22-2015, 05:36 PM
The following link details how to overhaul the charcoal canister in a MGB the same technique can be used with the one in your LR

www.mgexp.com/article/rebuilding-charcoal-canister.html

Mike

IIA
05-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Thanks! I spent far too long looking for that information.

MJL
05-27-2015, 09:17 AM
Attached is a diagram of the fuel tank emission control set up that was used on late IIA's and Series III for the North American market. Also a brief description of how it works.

IIA - sent you a PM

Mike10830

tolonian
06-27-2015, 10:11 AM
Does anyone know if the vapor expansion tank that's part of this system, part 577257, is also used on MGB or happen to have a MG part number? It seems it might be NLA under the LR part number.
My tank is still intact but is pretty badly rusted.

I checked the moss motors website for MGB emissions parts, the diagram shows a small vapor separation tank as NLA..

ignotus
06-27-2015, 11:46 AM
They are available maybe just not with our hosts. Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogle the part #.

tolonian
06-27-2015, 04:07 PM
I did a google search and have a call into a supplier I use that deals with John Craddocks but it's possibly a case of it showing as available on the website when in fact it's more like "they might be able to get it".

I wire wheeled mine and it might be salvagable, one of the sides is thin and has pin holes, the others feel pretty solid with lots of material. I might be able to carefully cut out the rotted section, clean out the inside of the tank, seal it if necessary and weld a new piece of sheetmetal on.