PDA

View Full Version : What's it worth?? 109" Hard Top, etc.

bullstanky
05-26-2015, 02:15 PM
My '75 109" came to me as a hard top 3 door with 3/4 rack. I bought my rover to drive around with the top off, so off it came. And now I don't think I'm ever going to put it back on.

So now I have an extra hard top, rack, sides, window top and safari door. It's all there, just as it came off my truck, with all seals, trim, etc. You could pretty much just bolt all of this stuff together and go.

Of course, I'd love to part ways with this stuff to help fund the purchase of my new bikini top and zip up door tops...but I can't seem to get a firm grip on what it might be worth...there aren't a ton of these lying around in the US, and they rarely seem to change hands. I'm afraid if I just put them up on ebay someone will steal them for pennies.

You can take a look here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/131307245@N06/sets/72157652443134405

The glass is all perfect and the metal is all in really good shape with few to no dents or dings and little to no rust. All of the paint is fairly good with the exception of the outside of the top, where someone had painted over the original rover limestone paint with some kind of white house paint that is flaking off. The original paint underneath is in pretty good shape--a good hard powerwashing might clean it up nicely.

The rack and ladder look almost new. I recently had to have some parts galvanized, and had them throw those in, so they now have a new and shiny coating of zink.

I'm hoping to sell it all together, the sides, top, rack, door tops, and safari door. The complete package. Ready to go. I did some quick math and came up with the following:

3/4 Rack - having just been re-galvanized, this part is like new. The cheapest galvanized rack sold by our host is about $1100 (http://www.roversnorth.com/Land-Rover-Parts/18), so I'd love to get about $800.

Top and sides - a vented top like this one with vents in good shape and sides with good seals and windows is not something you see very often. Could I get $800 for it as well?

And then for the door tops and complete safari door - I'd love to see $100 for each door top and $200 for the safari door.

All together that gets me to $2,000. I'd really like to sell it all as one lot, but as I need the proceeds to further my rover project, I cannot give it away for a song. I'm guessing $2k is wishful thinking...anybody venture to guess what this stuff is actually worth?

cedryck
05-27-2015, 09:41 AM
I would have to think it is worth at least 500-800.$$.
Just my humble opinion.

TravelinLight
05-27-2015, 10:21 AM
These are always hard as there are several factors involved. They are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them, but your limiting factor is proximity to you.

Someone who is further away may really want them but it is cost prohibitive to sell them, so the question becomes what is the removal of these items worth to you?

I think your prices do not seem too far off, especially if someone needs them for winter. The door tops may be a harder sell as new ones from Rocky MTN are just a little more for never rust models. The rear door may be in the 100 to 150 range used. The top 500 to 800 sounds ok also. The rack is such a specialty item it could go either way. If you are in a warm climate and do not plan to use them, then I would imagine the same for the potential local buyer. If these were easier to ship this problem goes away. Unfortunately they are not, so you have a product that may sell for much less due to the nature of the shipping costs and hassle. Then it becomes a question of how much do you need to feel ok with letting an item you will not use go and clean some space in the shop / yard/ garage. This could be for sale for years waiting for the right customer to buy them all or the right person could be reading this today.

I know this does not help much, but I have seen folks sit on parts for a long time waiting for the right person to pay the right price.

bullstanky
05-29-2015, 08:12 AM
These are always hard as there are several factors involved. They are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them, but your limiting factor is proximity to you.

This could be for sale for years waiting for the right customer to buy them all or the right person could be reading this today.

I know this does not help much, but I have seen folks sit on parts for a long time waiting for the right person to pay the right price.

So true. I'm centrally located on the i95 corridor in Raleigh NC, so a short trip to just about anywhere east of the Mississippi.

I'd for sure be willing to make a deal for the right buyer. It's a strange situation of scarcity (not a ton of these lying around) but also very limited demand (there are probably only about 4 people in the U.S. looking for these parts right now and I don't know where to find them).

eBay? Craigslist? Swap meet? Suggestions?

TravelinLight
05-29-2015, 09:04 AM
I would say all three. I like the longer top sides. I would post on Expedition Portal, IH8tMud, Solihull Society, Criagslist in a couple of larger areas and try ebay. Old Dominion will ship the top but will not take the sides or door with glass intact.

Search each and every forum and club where you could post a virtual message too. I sold a top in a little worse shape with sides on eBay for a little less than 500 if I remember correctly. It was for a 5 door though.

This will be a leg work game as you need to get in front of as many people as possible. Also selling the rack by itself will be easier and bring more money.

bullstanky
06-01-2015, 05:52 PM
This will be a leg work game as you need to get in front of as many people as possible. Also selling the rack by itself will be easier and bring more money.

That's a great idea. I just put the rack up on eBay by itself:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131527276498

TravelinLight
06-02-2015, 09:06 AM
Good luck with it. Home Depot sells super heavy duty zip ties you can attach ladder to rack if they decide to ship it. Old Dominion and I am sure uship.com can get that cross country for the future owner.

bullstanky
06-24-2015, 02:14 PM
I was able to sell the rack on ebay for $725 after about two weeks online. I received at least 10 inquiries, so there is some demand.

I just put the top, sides, door tops and safari door on ebay today - http://www.ebay.com/itm/131543093290?item=131543093290&viewitem=&vxp=mtr