PDA

View Full Version : '91 RR - intermittent problem: stalls & won't start

sms1305
07-03-2007, 12:34 PM
It's been running very well, but an intermittent stalling problem has emerged.

Last Friday morning, at 7:00 a.m. I drove about 20 miles and parked it in the sun.

8:30 a.m.: started fine and drove about 15 minutes. Parked in the sun.

10:00 a.m.: started but stalled. Restarted fine and drove 10 minutes and filled gas tank (17 gals). Parked in parking garage.

4:15 p.m.: Started fine and drove out of garage. It stalled out on me about a block later. It would turn over strong, but would not start. I disconnected coil wire and observed fairly weak spark against the valve cover.

6:30 p.m.: Finally started. I drove home 15 miles without incident, though at lights I put in neutral and kept the rpm up a little.

I'm going to replace the fule filter as a precaution. I'm probably going to replace the plugs, rotor & cap, too.

Any advice on diagnosing the actual problem? Any way to test the ignition module? Any way to test the temp sensor?

Any advice?

Thanks!

Steve

eliaschristeas
07-05-2007, 09:38 PM
all of that sounds good but you may want to clean your stepper motor and tps sensor. If you're up to it, you may want to replace all you pcv lines and pull the upper plenum to clean the hell out of it.

sms1305
08-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Can I pull the "service engine" codes without a code reader?

rover_chump
08-03-2007, 07:48 AM
Can I pull the "service engine" codes without a code reader?

On a '91 the "Service Engine" light is just a emmision maint. reminder (which can be reset by poking a paper clip or finish nail through the hole in the top of a "chocolate brown" relay under the rear part of the passenger front seat, with the key in the "on" position....not running)

If it is a "Check Engine" light...(aka EFI light) it was tripped by a fault in the EFI system....your vehicle has a "fault display unit" under the trim panel on the RH side of the passenger front seat. (with the key in the "on" position...not running, you should see a red L.E.D. numeric display, give us a call (at RN (800) 403-7591) with those numbers and we can tell you what tripped the light.
Peace,
Art

singingcamel
08-06-2007, 11:31 AM
sounds like the amp module on the dizzy, weak spark will also be noted. i would change it..
tps and steppor motor responsible for your idle,not for the no start issues..marc