PDA

View Full Version : Manual Headlight Relay . . .

LaneRover
06-08-2015, 08:52 AM
So, I took my '65 109 SW down to Wakefield Mass to pick up a playset that was no longer needed by my brother and sister-in-law. Seeing as I now have a 2 year old that playset will see a lot of use!

On the way back up north to Maine with my father-in-law in the passenger seat I came realize that it didn't seem that the headlights were working. So we pulled over at the NH rest area to take a look. Nope no headlights . . . Wiggling wires, checking contacts and fuses did not help one bit. So I looked in the underseat toolbox and found a wee little wire that would be of no help when it comes to headlights.

Then I remembered that I had piled a few things in the rear toolbox when the truck was shipped up from Jacksonville. There I found an old roll of good heavy gauge wire HUZZAH! This would do the trick!

Off came the grill (again) I attached the wire to the screw that battery cable clamp and then folded over the wire at the other end to make an improvised bullet connector. Bingo! I now had headlights!! Since my 'cup holder' is a roll of tape I bent the wire up next to the connector and taped it off so that it wouldn't fall out while driving up the turnpike.

Now I just need to do 2 things . . . remember that the headlight switch wires and the switch itself should be checked when going through the system and seeing if the headlight switch OR the lightswitch itself is the culprit.

cedryck
06-08-2015, 04:00 PM
Good story, duck tape and old wires are king!

LaneRover
06-22-2015, 07:27 PM
In the end it was the Headlight dimmer switch that caused the issue. Tested the wires today and plenty of power to that dimmer switch and nothing after it . . .

SafeAirOne
06-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Nice and easy to troubleshoot and fix; Wish they were all this way.

One of the handiest and most useful items in my toolbox is a 15-foot length of 14-gauge wire with alligator clips on each end. This little lifesaver has gotten me home on more than one occasion.

If you have a mulitmeter with you at the rest area, you could pretty easily track down the problem and just pull the 12v feed wire and the low beam wire off the dimmer switch and just tape them together.

LaneRover
06-26-2015, 08:52 PM
If you have a mulitmeter with you at the rest area, you could pretty easily track down the problem and just pull the 12v feed wire and the low beam wire off the dimmer switch and just tape them together.

If in the moment you remember the dimmer switch . . .

SafeAirOne
06-27-2015, 12:09 AM
If in the moment you remember the dimmer switch . . .

Yeah, I should have added "and a wiring diagram."

Back when RN used to have printed catalogues, I used to carry one just for the wiring diagrams.

LaneRover
06-27-2015, 07:44 AM
I like the idea of taking the wire I used and putting alligator clips on it. A similar short wire with alligator clips got me home once when I finished a show in LA and had driven my work truck back down to San Diego and took the train back up to get my Rover - and had forgotten my keys . . .
. . . which also showed me how easy it would be to steal a series Rover . . .