PDA

View Full Version : Supports for working on 88 rear tub and chassis

TJR
07-04-2007, 12:34 AM
Other that the obvious saw horses and spacers, what creative ways have others come up with for a support for working on 88 rear tub. The tub is so bulky I can't really move it my self and I need to replace on rear quater panel.

Also has anyone used the Harbor freight (or similar) car dollies for a rolling chassis. Have anyone susessfully built their own set for less?

Thanks, Talbot,

southern Maine, on-going ser III 88 project.

Dav1550
07-04-2007, 04:21 AM
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l16/Raincrow1/100_0290.jpg I made up a low wide dolly from a couple of 2 X 4s and small wheels I got form Northern....simular to what they have at H Freight but was sized to fit the rear of the bed. Where the bed would stand up on it and could be rolled around..... Made it a one man operation to move around and work on most of the bed..

Difficult to see the dolly in the pic because it's low and covered, but perhaps it shows the idea.

Dave

jp-
07-05-2007, 09:24 AM
I got a second person to help me lift the bed off and turn it upside down. I then did all the work that I needed to the bottom, welding, painting, etc... Once complete, I got help to set it back on the frame (frame work was done first) and then I completed all remaining bodywork with the bed on the frame.

The underside was brush painted (not as pretty as Dave's, but it's there for protection not concours looks).