PDA

View Full Version : Freeze plug leak

slowmo
06-13-2015, 08:06 PM
Will there ever be an end?

I got to pound out my leaking freeze plugs today. Weeeeeee!

triumphtr7guy
06-14-2015, 08:04 PM
But at least the weather is with you!! there is a bright side, maybe covered in dung, but it is there!!
Take it from one who knows your pain

Bruce

slowmo
06-15-2015, 11:59 AM
Oh yes. The second half of the joy will be pounding in the new freeze plugs. Can't wait, hanging upside down from the rafters, trying to hit the back of the large socket held with my left hand, with a ball peen hammer in my right hand, with the full hammer stroke limited to 4" because of the engine compartment, smashing my fingers holding the socket every third hammer stroke, but only a little pain because the 4" hammer stroke won't yield enough force to actually drive the in freeze plugs. But after 9000 hammer strikes (3000 of which were on my fingers) success! After I get out of the ER I can then reinstall the manifolds and carb and all that stuff.

Then I'll drive Homer until the next thing breaks, which will be about 15 minutes or so.

However, I am reaching the point where the truck will be reliable...because I will have replaced EVERYTHING in it. I did take the opportunity to rebuild the carb, change out the fuel sender, fuel filler hose and other "little" things. Quality time with Homer...priceless.

Funny though. Before the freeze plug decided to let go I told my wife, "You know, I think it's getting to the point I can trust the Rover." Man did I set myself up there.

LaneRover
06-15-2015, 01:52 PM
Funny though. Before the freeze plug decided to let go I told my wife, "You know, I think it's getting to the point I can trust the Rover." Man did I set myself up there.

Yes I believe that you did set yourself up with that one.

If you slip with it again follow it up with - "'To break down', Thats right trust the Rover to break down" I think that may release the curse.

SafeAirOne
06-15-2015, 09:59 PM
A) Remove the wing--It only takes a couple of minutes, presuming you've had it off before. Then you can swing that hammer for miles while driving in the new plugs.

B) I'll take coolant leaking from the PITA freeze plugs over coolant leaking from an (cracked) engine block any day!

slowmo
06-16-2015, 06:54 PM
Yeah. You're right. I've had it off now twice since Feb. Looks like another time is in the works. Sheesh.

slowmo
06-22-2015, 09:09 AM
I didn't have to remove the wing. After "removal" of the old freeze plugs I cleaned off the block with scotch pads, applied gasket shellac to both surfaces, and using a large socket tapped in the new plugs. They went in much easier than some of my earlier experiences with sports cars.