PDA

View Full Version : IIA Front axle questions

tater134
06-14-2015, 06:17 PM
I am in the midst of a full restoration (and I use that term loosely regarding this Rover) on a 1966 IIA and have removed the front axle from the frame to begin cleaning things up for repainting. Since I have the axle out what should I be checking? This Rover was sitting for 13 years so I'm assuming new seals at the very least? Luckily for me the swivel balls seem to be okay. Any info from those with more experience working on these would be much appreciated!

cedryck
06-15-2015, 03:30 PM
You can search swivel ball replacement. This will be an intensive project that is usually needed on some older trucks. If you are not planning on that much of an investment, than check at least condition of wheel bearing, seals, oil seals, and play in the wheel bearings. Make sure breather on top of axle case is clean. Might get the fishgage out to check preload on left to right steeting resisitance. 2 cents.

antichrist
06-15-2015, 07:12 PM
Full restoration says to me you will be tearing down the axle assembly. All new seals, careful inspection of bearings (http://www.timken.com/en-US/products/maintdiag/Documents/6347.pdf), rebuild the swivel housing. If the swivel balls are good just do a swivel pin kit.
Check the stub axle distance piece for grooving from the hub seal. The distance piece can be replaced if scored.
Disassemble the breather and make sure the ball bearing in it isn't rusty and the breather isn't plugged. Personally I'd convert to raised breathers if you're not going for a concours restoration.

clearcut
06-16-2015, 08:50 PM
tom
if you convert to the raised breathers, how would you route them? follow the brake line? thanks. josh

tater134
06-16-2015, 09:45 PM
Thanks to all that replied. At least I have somewhere to start now. I had time today to start cleaning things up to see what I'm working with. I got the springs removed from the axle (leaves broken and very rusted) and took a bucket of dried grease off of the axle and around the back plates for the brakes. The swivel balls look good but there is a little bit of pitting which I expected since this Rover sat outside for over 10 years. So how much pitting is considered too much? I wasn't really looking at doing a swivel ball replacement at this point but if I have no other choice I will have to go ahead and do it. Also are the bolts used on the axles standard or Whitworth? I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were Whitworth but I could be wrong.

SafeAirOne
06-17-2015, 06:15 AM
So how much pitting is considered too much?

If it causes the swivel oil seal to fail and subsequently leak, it's too much.

antichrist
06-17-2015, 07:12 AM
tom
if you convert to the raised breathers, how would you route them? follow the brake line? thanks. joshOver to one side or the other then up to the bulkhead via a protected as possible path. I suppose you could follow the brake lines, but not required.

I wasn't really looking at doing a swivel ball replacement at this point but if I have no other choice I will have to go ahead and do it.Another option is repairing them with JB Weld and epoxy
http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/Drivetrain.SwivelBalls.html