PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Land Rover 343000211A Can not shift into second gear

clearcut
06-14-2015, 07:48 PM
1st, 3rd and 4th work

1st to 2nd will not work

3rd to 2 nd will not work

1st to 3rh or 3rd to 1st worj

What direction or work around due have for me??

Thank you

josh

LaneRover
06-15-2015, 08:10 AM
First off, know that I know almost noting about the internals of a transmission - even a Rover transmission.

I would first take off the transmission tunnel cover and see if there is anything jammed or stuck in the linkage that could be causing the issue. If there is then it was a nice cheap fix!

slowmo
06-15-2015, 09:54 AM
Hmmm. Will 2nd gear not engage? In other words is the shift level binding in some way. If so, Lane might be right and your problem can be fixed without having to pull the tranny. You'll need to remove the floor panels and then the tranny panel to get at the cover. Remove that and see if something is blocking the fork from engaging second gear. There are some small parts which you can lose in the process so take it slowly...with a good manual.

If you have to pull the tranny, I just finished mine a couple of months ago. I have a thread on that process here in the forum. With patience, plenty of rubber gloves and beer and knowing you will be out about $1-1.5K, the job is not that complicated.

Bud
08-09-2015, 06:06 PM
This has been fixed. I found a broken thrust washer on second gear. It was still in place, but had broken in a manner that increased it's diameter, thus preventing the dog teeth inside 1st gear from sliding over and mating with the dog teeth on second. As the thrust washer remained in place, 3rd and 4th were still functioning properly. The transmission was rebuilt.