PDA

View Full Version : 95 lwb tough to shift between gears

masonater
06-17-2015, 07:15 PM
My 95 lwb had sat for a couple years and it is very hard to shift through the gears. It takes a bit of effort to go from park to first and back. No real "click" into each gear like I am used to. I greased as much of the linkage as i could get to between park and first both under console and under the rover, but it didn't really help. What are my options? Thanks

Les Parker
06-18-2015, 06:31 AM
Probably the best route would be to remove the shifter cable and grease it up with some synthetic grease. A long tedious job, but worth it.

o2batsea
06-18-2015, 05:01 PM
Well, the cable runs in a HMMW plastic sleeve so it needs no lubrication. If it's not sliding it's probably rusted and therefore useless. Cables are NLA but good used not a problem. Unless Les or Arthur can pull a NOS one out from under some random pile.

masonater
06-18-2015, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to take the cable out and see what if anything can be done. Does the Disco 1 use the same cable??

masonater
07-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Took the shifter assembly out of a parts disco 1 I have that worked smoothly. I installed it into my LWB and all is well again. Taking the console apart was the worst part, other than that it came out pretty easy.