PDA

View Full Version : Engine temp sensor

Artificer
06-30-2015, 04:49 PM
I have a gauge, I have the sensor, but I don't have anything in between. A search of our hosts store didn't bring up anything, so can I assume that I can just connect the two with off the shelf wire? If so, what gauge wire should I use, and should I use a wire with a heat resistant insulation?

SafeAirOne
06-30-2015, 05:15 PM
There's not a whole lot of juice running through that wire. It's one of the smaller (diameter/gauge/strand) wires. 9-strand (5.75-amp capable) or 14-strand (8-amp capable) wire would work: http://www.britishwiring.com/Wire-s/43.htm

SafeAirOne
06-30-2015, 05:47 PM
Oh, and "no" to your heat-resistant question.

o2batsea
07-01-2015, 05:04 AM
Green switched to power-in side of gauge, green with blue stripe to sender. Use 14 strand if buying from britishwiring.com or use 18g if buying regular stuff.

Artificer
07-03-2015, 01:59 PM
After some confusion because I was apparently looking at the wrong diagram, I do not, in fact, have an engine temp sensor. I just have a mixture switch. That explains why the engine temp gauge wasn't attached to anything, since there wasn't anything to attach it to!

That being said, I really like the idea of having some way to keep an eye on the engine's temperature. Is there any way for me to install an engine temp sensor to hook up to my erroneous gauge?

SafeAirOne
07-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Where's the sender that came with the engine from the factory? The temp sender ports are located on different places on the engine, depending on which engine and when it was manufactured.

Artificer
07-04-2015, 09:53 PM
As far as I can tell there never was an engine temp sender, just the mixture switch connected to the mixture warning light on the dash. I searched pretty thoroughly over the engine block and compared the wiring diagrams between the IIA and other models and it looks like the + ground Series IIA never had an engine temp gauge.

antichrist
07-04-2015, 10:07 PM
It probably had a temp gauge using a thermocouple, if it had anything.
I don't know for sure if they were standard or optional. I think they were optional.
My '62 has one like this, only the temp reading in degrees rather than C/N/H

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ItemImages/Large/RX1351OIL-WATER.jpg

Artificer
07-05-2015, 04:35 PM
That looks like just the ticket. Where can I get one, and where do I stick the business end once I have it?

1971Series88
07-07-2015, 07:48 PM
You can find them on eBay....oil and temp together. Roughly $145
Or Nisonger has them too.

chuckstp
07-09-2015, 04:28 AM
I have one like that although not so pretty of course. The oil gauge appears to work quite well although when the car is warm, while the temperature gauge moves, it doesn't move much. The sensor for this I am pretty sure is a bulb mounted right next to the vertical hose coming from the water pump. I haven't gotten as far as troubleshooting my gauge issue just yet.

antichrist
07-09-2015, 07:25 AM
That looks like just the ticket. Where can I get one, and where do I stick the business end once I have it?

Remove the plug marked "12"
You may need an adapter.

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss215/rover_driver/RoverParts/Series-II-IIa/cooling/225_coolant_sensor.jpg

I have one like that although not so pretty of course. The oil gauge appears to work quite well although when the car is warm, while the temperature gauge moves, it doesn't move much. The sensor for this I am pretty sure is a bulb mounted right next to the vertical hose coming from the water pump. I haven't gotten as far as troubleshooting my gauge issue just yet.Mine are mechanical for both oil pressure and temp.

triumphtr7guy
07-09-2015, 08:00 AM
Standard Smith gauge, used in tons of Triumph, MG, A Healey, basically anything British. Check the usual suspects, our hosts, Craigslist, Ebay, go to a local Brit car show and see if anyone is vending. Any of the hot rod parts catalogs would have similar non Brit type gauges, Jegs comes to mind off the top of my head

Good luck

Bruce

tolonian
07-11-2015, 05:27 PM
Remove the plug marked "12"
You may need an adapter.

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss215/rover_driver/RoverParts/Series-II-IIa/cooling/225_coolant_sensor.jpg

Mine are mechanical for both oil pressure and temp.

Isn't that plug removed for the fitting to direct coolant to either the rear of the head or to the heater input?