PDA

View Full Version : Shorland 2.6 L, 6 cyl ticking.

07-13-2015, 05:34 PM
I am having a loud tick from my intake head. I have adjusted intake and exhaust valve tappet to .006 and ..010, ( specs) twice. What else can I check in the intake head valve side? I had the head gasket replaced two years ago and it started shortly after. It used to idle like a sewing machine. On start up it sounds great, when it hits operating temperature it has a single, rythmetic, annoying, noticeable tick that seems to be coming from the number 1 or 2 cylinder intake tappet area. All thoughts welcomed.....can I run it at idle with the intake valve cover off?

SafeAirOne
07-13-2015, 09:31 PM
Are you sure you're not hearing an exhaust leak at the manifold?

07-13-2015, 10:04 PM
No I am not sure. The engine compartment has an armored box around it making it very difficult to check due to no room. Any ideas how I can check for an exhaust leak without getting burned? I tried wrapping the area at the manifold connecting area with toilet paper but that did not work.

SafeAirOne
07-14-2015, 12:36 AM
I'd isolate the place where the noise is coming from by using a mechanic's stethoscope (available at auto parts stores) or by using a small-diameter tube, sticking one end in my ear and by moving the other end around till I found where the suspect noise was the loudest, then go from there.

NOTE: Watch out for the engine cooling fan!

lumpydog
07-14-2015, 05:53 AM
Mark's advice is spot on. Where you're tracking down manifold leaks, also look for burn marks around the edge of the manifold, where gas is escaping - particularly the right and left ends of the manifold, by the securing bolts - where the gasket can split. In addition to hearing it, you can see it.

Also - have an assistant intermittently hold a rag over the end of the tail pipe while you listen in the engine bay. Hold the rag over the pipe for just a few seconds at a time. If you hear a hissing sound, yup - you have a leak. But, If the pressure builds up quietly and whoosh/releases when you remove the rag, move on to checking the valves.

Are you using a feeler gauge to adjust your valves? The challenge there is - a feeler gauge measures from the lowest part of the rocker arm surface to the highest part of the valve - this is not necessarily the real distance between the contact point of the rocker arm and the valve… leaving the valve/rocker arm gap larger than the recommended air gap (and results in a loud ticking noise). This can happen with worn rockers.

I had this issue - so I started my Rover with the valve cover off - yes, you can do that. With the engine running and the valve cover off, use a spare piece of hose as a stethoscope (as Mark suggested). a 3 ft section of heater hose or garden hose works. Put one end of the hose to your ear and move the other end of the hose from valve to valve. Find the one(s) that are making that metallic clang - it's easy to locate using the hose. Turn off the engine. Tighten the valve(s) gap up a little by increasing the relative before/after drag on the feeler gauge. Restart the engine, listen again, adjust further if needed.

This worked very well for me. I've been told that using a dial indicator/gauge will give you a true valve gap measurement and picked one up but haven't tried it yet.

07-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Thank you for all the expertise in the replies. I plan to hit it this weekend. The dial indicator is an excellent idea.

lumpydog
07-15-2015, 09:38 PM
Good! Can you let us know what you find. Will help others that stumble across this thread in the future. Fingers crossed you quiet her down a bit.

derekchace
07-16-2015, 09:02 AM
Its not that hard to remove those plates. Taylor did it on mine when he did the starter. My bet is exhaust leak. Its going to sound real funny with all those plates around it moving the noise around.

08-14-2015, 08:54 PM
Its not that hard to remove those plates. Taylor did it on mine when he did the starter. My bet is exhaust leak. Its going to sound real funny with all those plates around it moving the noise around.

Do you own a Shorland? You are right, I spent a few hours with a 3 ft hose to my ear and all over the motor...still baffled, but will try Mr Lumpy dogs suggestion, and will look into removing the plate on the exhaust manifold side. Thanks everyone for some direction.

08-17-2015, 11:09 AM
I found intake number one ticking with the hose,valve cover off, I reduced clearance until the tick stopped, found it was .004 on my feeler gauge. I also found a slighter tick on number 6, reduced and final measured clearance was .005. Adjusted while hot.Thank You, I will drive it around to see if anything changes.