PDA

View Full Version : Painting Roof (63 2a 88)

timc930
07-19-2015, 07:46 PM
So I want to sand and paint my roof (Safari), and really don't want to go with the almond/ivory, I'd like a bit more white, but not pure white, maybe a cross between ivory and white. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Anyone removed the glass on the roof, tips???

tim

DGG
07-19-2015, 10:24 PM
You could go with a white from a newer model Land Rover. My 98 Discovery is Chawton White. It's not a bright white.

timc930
07-20-2015, 06:53 AM
Thanks, Good idea. I like the early Disco I white, and as I remember like you say, it's not a bright white.

darbsclt
07-20-2015, 07:18 AM
Anyone removed the glass on the roof, tips???

tim

Sorry, I can't help with the painting or glass removal (although I imagine the latter would depend on the state of the rubber seal around the alpine windows).

Perhaps, however, you can help me. I would like to install Alpines in my standard roof & could use a template of the window opening from the gutter-rail and roof-back; even if that might be simple measurements (eg. 2" up from gutter, 4" forward of back edge). It would also be helpful to understand how much larger the opening circumference is than the glass (1/4"?, 1/8"?) .

Hopefully that makes sense.

Cheers!

fly cubs
07-20-2015, 07:57 AM
For the paint I was just in the same boat as you- wanted not pure white or the full limestone.

I took the limestone paint code and had the paintshop lighten it up 50%- it worked great. Below is a picture of how it turned out. Paint was PPG Omni MTK single stage urethane.

As for Alpine windows, I did this to my top last week! I'll start a new thread with instructions.

luckyjoe
07-20-2015, 09:57 AM
Rustoleum Almond is a dead ringer to LR Limestone. Rustoleum Antique White falls between white and limestone. You can paint your wheels to match.

For the Alpine windows, trace the glass on the roof and cut 1/4-inch longer. The opening lower edge should be 1-inch up from the gutter, and centered on the roof section - for an 88 this is the "rear" section, for a 109 this is the "center" section. When curring the rubber seal, cut it 1-inch longer than you can fit, and force it into place as you install the glass. This is actually possible, and negates future leaks at the seal butt joint.

timc930
07-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Fly Cubs, Nice looking truck. Mine is same blue. Like the white.

Anyone, Is there a off the shelf match for the marine blue? I'd like to do some touch up now with a brush and/or roller.

Contractor
07-21-2015, 03:39 PM
Fly Cubs, Nice looking truck. Mine is same blue. Like the white.

Anyone, Is there a off the shelf match for the marine blue? I'd like to do some touch up now with a brush and/or roller.

If you get out of the forum section of this site and into the main page there is a link to all of the original paint codes, most shops can mix it for you.

Also, Tower Paint Company will sell you rattle cans of the Marine Blue shipped to your door. They have most of the codes on file.