PDA

View Full Version : This Rover is advertised as a 67, but looks later. Any advise.

learyseamus
07-22-2015, 06:52 PM
Hi all, I have found a truck, after a 15 year hiatus, and I have a few questions. Looking at the interior photo, it looks 67, but the headlights are in the wings. And do these door posts and upper bulkhead look replaced (no pictures, but they are dark grey primer whereas the rest of the truck is faded blue green). The headlights really confuse me, because the wings look original. Did 69 have dual wipers and headlights in the wings? Cant seem to upload photos. Unfortunately, I'm really excited and probably not making sound decisions… The vin, 24427287c. Thanks, Bryan

LaneRover
07-22-2015, 08:01 PM
It could be a 'bitsa' which is bits of this truck bits of that truck. That means it could be a giant mess OR a great little truck that has been put together well from a number of donor trucks. As the door posts and upper bulkhead look replaced it sounds as though it has been worked on. Without seeing the truck or pics I doubt anyone can give a really good explanation.

learyseamus
07-23-2015, 06:08 AM
Thanks LaneRover, every picture file I try to upload is too large by 30 kb. Im sure there is an advise thread, but I haven't found it yet.

Paul and Judson
07-23-2015, 06:36 AM
The headlights in the wings and the dual windshield wipers point to a Series 11a Bugeye. I believe Bugeyes were an interim model made
To satisfy Australian safety requirements. The lights moved to the wings. They were not recessed. Thus the name "Bugeye". I believe the Bugeyes were produced during several months of 1969.

Opabob
07-23-2015, 07:21 PM
69 had dual wipers starting with the bugeyes. Some 69s had the recessed headlights later on I believe.

tolonian
07-23-2015, 07:50 PM
Use picresize.com to reduce the file size. Based on that VIN sounds like a 69 or later which had the lights in the wings and dual wipers, single motor. One picture posted will confirm. My truck built in 70 is VIN 2444 suffix C

learyseamus
07-24-2015, 05:53 AM
Thanks everyone. Here are a couple of links if anyone has time to look. Ive resized and formatted and can't get these to upload. I might not get there in time to get the truck, but I'm still curious to know what this looks like to a trained eye. Cheers
http://i.picresize.com/EF8A
http://i.picresize.com/EF8a
http://i.picresize.com/EF84

lumpydog
07-24-2015, 06:37 AM
The chassis number is from a 67 or earlier model. The engine picture is consistent with a 67 as well. The exterior picture shows a Series 3 breakfast with Series 3 wings/headlight configure. The Interior shot looks like 67 (individual wiper motors). Hard to tell without a better dash picture.

For the chassis number, it should have the headlights on the breakfast, not the wings. Looks like someone swapped the breakfast and wings at some point along the way.

learyseamus
07-24-2015, 06:45 AM
Yeah, I've asked for clear pictures of the dash, the best I got was a fuzzy video of him cranking it. I'll try to post that. If it runs, what would you pay for this?

lumpydog
07-24-2015, 06:54 AM
Yeah, I've asked for clear pictures of the dash, the best I got was a fuzzy video of him cranking it. I'll try to post that. If it runs, what would you pay for this?

Hard to say - others will chime in. Without many pictures it's tough. Your best bet is to bring someone that knows these trucks well and can point out where you will likely have additional so expenses, etc. The exterior shot looks like the rear of the vehicle is low... Bad springs?

darbsclt
07-24-2015, 07:03 AM
Did you get your "chassis number" off of the chassis?
I'm pretty sure that your registration plate is swapped.
The number you listed: 24427287c... should be for an 88" not a 109"
(which I believe had a prefix of 254 or 264 depending on spec.)

Look for the actual VIN stamped on the chassis... Just over the righthand (outside-front) spring hanger.
(note: These are sometimes hard to read... they aren't stamped deeply and are often covered by paint/undercoating/etc.)

According to CalVIN... your plate number is for...
244 Model: Land Rover, Series IIA
Body type: Basic or Station wagon
Wheel base: 88in
Engine: petrol
Model years: 1962-1971
Destination: Export, left-hand drive (LHD)
27287 Serial number
C Design: Two significant design modifications
Suffix used from April 1966 till April 1967

learyseamus
07-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Someone else has stepped up, I think, but I is was going to give 5500. It needs brakes, carb, tune up just to be driven. I thought that was a little high or something that couldn't be driven. Im pretty impatient though, and can handle all that stuff on my own, so I was willing to take a chance. If this seems like it could be a good price for something I can only drive around in low range (recause of the brakes), please chime in. I might still have a chance. Thanks again

Star27buck
07-24-2015, 02:18 PM
Forget all the rest, look at the chassis and bulkhead. If these need extensive repair or replacement you're underwater before you start.

LaneRover
07-27-2015, 07:57 AM
Forget all the rest, look at the chassis and bulkhead. If these need extensive repair or replacement you're underwater before you start.

Yes

learyseamus
07-27-2015, 10:03 PM
Sound advise, I let the truck go. Still on the hunt. Thanks again.