PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump "HELP"

carignanrover
07-29-2015, 02:55 PM
Hi I'm new the Land Rover world. I recently bought a bunch of boxes with parts in it and they threw in a chassis.
I'm trying to get the motor started, it turns over but hasn't fired yet because the oil filter is shooting out oil all over the place. I've looked at my manual and on-line but haven't seen anything that resembles my oil filter. If anybody has seen one like my, can I just remove the tap and put a plug? Or is the oil suppose to go some where? 1959 Series 2, 2.25l swb
Again I only have boxes of parts and I am not sure where everything's goes just yet. 10856

mearstrae
07-29-2015, 03:41 PM
The tap next to the engine is an oil pressure switch and the other should go to a mechanical oil pressure gauge. So, yes you can put in a pipe plug to stop the oil from spraying about.

'99 Disco II
'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

cedryck
07-29-2015, 03:44 PM
The small hole, I concur is probably for a mechanical oil gauge. Usually a small copper tube would fit there and go to the dash for the gauge. As far as the can, there were usually two types (sizes) of paper filters a short and long, I think you could take out the adapter for the copper line, and place a suitable bolt in there that would prevent oil from spraying all over the engine bay.

carignanrover
07-29-2015, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I will put in a plug till I get everything sorted out. Just want to get that motor started. Pretty sure this won't be my only request. Thx again

ignotus
07-31-2015, 02:33 PM
Looking at the pic, the wire going to the bolt holding on the filter assembly can be removed. I would like to know if the "thing" (tube?) hanging down on the top of the filter assy goes up to a gauge? If so and it's an oil pressure gauge, fit that to the hole on the top that is spitting out oil.

HTH