PDA

View Full Version : Paint help needed

longshaor
08-02-2015, 06:12 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm restoring my Series III 109 FFR to its appearance in 1982/83 when it was serving with 10 Para (V) TA. Does anyone know of a source for MoD Infra-Red Suppressant paint here in the States? I found a source in the UK, but they won't ship over here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cedryck
08-03-2015, 02:05 PM
the whole infra red thing cracks me up,,, are they serious? Did that really work. I have an ex-mod, and read about the infra red thing, online and did not consider placing any of that hardware in my truck,

jac04
08-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Try Rapco Part. They have a lot of military paints.

www.rapcoparts.com

longshaor
08-04-2015, 06:53 AM
Based on my (admittedly limited) knowledge of thermography, I'd be very surprised if it worked the way the manufacturers claimed it did. However, from my perspective, I want to restore the vehicle to its 'in service' appearance for use with my living history group, and the IRR paints were notorious for some rather odd fading characteristics. The green would fade to a brownish color while the black would chalk up badly becoming a dark charcoal grey. I think it would be far easier to simply use the right paints and let them fade naturally than try to match the faded colors with regular automotive paints.

Thanks, Jac!