PDA

View Full Version : What is a good replacement for the Lucas Alternator

VTRover
07-05-2007, 09:16 AM
that looks like a GM unit? My 1959 Series II (negative ground) vehicle has a Lucas alternator that looks like a standard GM unit. In fact most people who see this think it's GM on first glance. What is the GM alternator part that most folks convert to? I'd love to put a BOSCH alternator in there today.

Thanks for any help!

Leslie
07-05-2007, 08:00 PM
http://www.bayourovers.com/trick12.html

badvibes
07-05-2007, 10:38 PM
VTRover-

This is from another related post but maybe you'll find it helpful.

Maybe you've already fixed the problem but I used the Delco 10SI, part # 334-2113. It puts out 63 amps. I actually had to do a generator to alt conversion. Had to fab some new brackets but it was all pretty straight forward. Another Delco alt that should work is #321-250, 12SI, which puts out 78 amps. It is nice knowing that I can probably find this part on the shelf if/when I need one.

Jeff

scott
07-13-2007, 09:46 PM
hey altenator thinking folks. i've been having trouble keeping my iia running. real hot days, after 15 minutes it looses power and dies. it doesn't miss. it's like all cylinders just stop firing. i suspected vapor lock, but i've a regular and electric fuel pump feeding a weber two barrel. i've a glass filter just befor the carb and there's petro in a liquid state in it. i've replaces points and condensor and he coil ain't but a few months old. autozone tested my bat and alt and advise that the alt is bad. could this cause my hot day engine failure?

badvibes
07-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Scott-

I still think you should change the coil out. A coil can act like this when it gets hot. Is the alternator dead or just not putting out enough to keep the battery charged? My experience with a bad alternator was that it died completely and once the battery charge drained down the vehicle would not run. This was on my waggy. For a few bucks I'd throw another coil in it just because.

Jeff