PDA

View Full Version : 64 109 pu 2.25 deisel sound alright?

learyseamus
08-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Hi everyone, I've found a diesel that runs but it doesn't look like its moved in a while. Wondering if anyone can tell how tired the engine sounds. Here's a link:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=XdgDF-bW2g8

Thanks, Bryan

ignotus
08-10-2015, 11:27 AM
Sounds fine to me, only a compression test can tell if it's worn out. Use a diesel compression gauge not petrol.

SafeAirOne
08-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Wondering if anyone can tell how tired the engine sounds.

The answer to the question I think you wanted to ask is: no, nobody can tell how tired that engine is by the sound.

If it helps, it sounds like any other 2.25 (or 2.5, for that matter) diesel.

The engine doesn't have quite as much power as a 2.25 petrol engine, so if you're familiar with the feel of the gas engine, don't be surprised if this engine feels slightly "tired" if you drive it. Still, those are pretty durable engines...

o2batsea
08-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Prolly one of the slowest engines ever devised. Like a hungover slug on quaaludes.

learyseamus
08-10-2015, 04:40 PM
So it'll be slow, but a conversation with it would be worth recording (714).

learyseamus
08-12-2015, 09:40 AM
Anyone around Boston want to check this out for me? I'll owe you a charleston favor, turn you a couple bowls or plates...

lumpydog
08-12-2015, 11:05 AM
What town is it in?

learyseamus
08-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Peabody. The folks seem very nice, sending tons of photos. I'll have to purchase without a test drive, and the rust and fact I know nothing about the diesel is kinda scary. But I think it's a fair price, just want to make sur it can be driving while restoring. Thanks

o2batsea
08-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Well, here's the thing. It's a 2A. That means that no matter what condition it is in, it is worth owning. Once you own a 2A you will be spoiled because every Land Rover product that has been made since is not as good. It's an icon, an archetype and the image of what they think of when you tell people you own a Safari truck. You will be instantly and impregnably smitten. You will want to spend all your money and all your time making it perfect.
Diesel schmeezil. Buy it. Love it. Be it.

Les Parker
08-13-2015, 07:17 AM
Rats ! The thread has been removed. Anyway, you'll move at a sedate pace, keep the mossies at bay with the exhaust smoke, be as deaf as a door post, but drive with the smug satisfaction that you own a piece of motoring history !
Enjoy !

lumpydog
08-13-2015, 11:30 AM
Peabody. The folks seem very nice, sending tons of photos. I'll have to purchase without a test drive, and the rust and fact I know nothing about the diesel is kinda scary. But I think it's a fair price, just want to make sur it can be driving while restoring. Thanks

I pass through Peabody daily. I'm happy to look at her for you. I'll PM you my email address and we can go from there.

Charlie