PDA

View Full Version : First Time Series Owner... Looking for Advice and Opinions

uncbsba
08-15-2015, 08:07 PM
So I finally pulled the trigger on purchasing a nicely patina'd 74 SIII 88" out of Canada. I am impatiently waiting on it to arrive but am already trying to figure out the direction I want to take her. There are a few things that need to be resolved and I wanted to get other experiences and advice on these few things.

http://s738.photobucket.com/user/jason_hilton1/library/Pre%20Purchase%20Rover%20Pics

1. The truck currently has a set of early Disco wheels and tires with spacers. Also has a set of flares bolted on. Looks pretty good, but looks more like a Defender. I am considering going back to a more old school look. The previous owner said the flares are bolted inside the fenders, so removal wouldn't leave any visible holes. He also included 4 of the original 15" wheels. I am trying to decide if I put some larger tires on the existing 15" wheels or upgrade to 16" steel or Wolf wheels. Anyone have any preferences? Other than aesthetics, are there any added benefits to the 16s?

2. She also has the diamond plate on the front wings. I would love to get rid of them, period. They appear to be bolted on, so has anyone ever removed these before? Any cool tricks or cover ups to get rid of these things. I eventually may restore the truck completely, but for now, I'd prefer to keep the patina without keeping the diamond plate.

3. I know this is common, the lower door frames are pretty rotten on all three doors. I love the current patina and would prefer to just repair or replace the frames. I see the repair kits available, is it pretty easy to stretch the skins over the frames. Is it something I could do or would a body shop be needed?

4. Everyone, including myself, seems to prefer the steel dash on the earlier IIa's. I haven't gotten my SIII yet, but the dash looks like a bunch of plastic bolted onto a steel dash. Is there any relatively easy way to remove the plastic and convert to the more classic gauge cluster?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Best,

Jason Hilton

antichrist
08-16-2015, 11:45 AM
1. With 16" wheels it's easier to find taller skinny tires, which is good, IMO, for a Series.
2. You can fill the holes with pan head screws or rivets. However, the diamond plate helps protect the wings when/if you have reason to stand on them, like loading a roof rack.
3. It can be done by a DIY owner, lot's of treads on the net about it.
4. Not really, at least not easily. They are entirely different underneath. If you want an all metal dash it would be a lot less work to find a good SII/IIa bulkhead and replace yours.

Contractor
08-16-2015, 08:40 PM
Cool truck, that was a really good deal…..I remember the for sale ad.

I agree with Tom above.

The diamond plate can be easily taken off, but you are going to end up with a bunch of holes from either screws, rivets or bolts.

Changing the door skins is not that hard, welding the new door frames in is the tricky part. Not hard, but if you can't weld you are going to struggle. I can't weld very well, so I struggle.

As far as the dash goes, enjoy the truck for what it is…….if you wanted a metal dash it would be much cheaper to buy a II or IIA. If your bulkhead is shot, then perhaps it might be worth the trouble, otherwise leave it alone.

superstator
08-17-2015, 11:45 AM
The holes under the diamond plate can be filled a variety of ways, depending on your budget/degree of **** retentiveness. My tub had a bunch of random drilled holes in it (is there a Series truck out there that doesn't?), and I was able to fill them pretty invisibly with a TIG and a lot of patience. PO had filled a lot of them with fiberglass and body filler, some more cleanly than others. If it's just a couple holes per side on the wing tops, I think some blind rivets are a good place to start and give it time to see if you actually care. Easy then to put the plate back on if you want, or go on to something more involved like filler or welding.

I like the Series III dash. It isn't as "retro" cool as the metal dash, but it still has it's own charm. If you really hate it, sell it and find a II somewhere - plenty out there, and it's definitely not worth trying to convert.

cedryck
08-25-2015, 02:42 PM
fitting a steel dash bulkhead requires a solid breakdown of the vehicle's existing bulkhead. If it were me, I would repair where and when necessary to the footwell, they do not look too bad, mine were much worse, and then repair what needs to be repaired to make it road worthy. You can fill in large holes on the wings with plugs, or if they are small enough , rivets. I would not worry too much about appearances on your first series truck, make it safe, and functional, makes sure it stops, shifts, and drives right, and safe. ALl lights working, and safe and reliable fuel delivery. Cheers,

SalemRover
09-05-2015, 12:21 PM
I wouldnt bother too much about the dash. I like the upper dash of the S3 as it is fairly functional. Its the lower dash that is most offensive. In terms of getting a more classic look find a late IIA grille to replace the S3 plastic grille( which is heinous ). Those eyebrows and disco rims are worth replacing. Besides the S3 has a full synchro tranny, power brakes, alternator, better stock heater, simplified clutch setup and wipers that dont drive you insane. You would end up lamenting most of the items on that list with a SII / IIA (excluding very late IIA's).

uncbsba
09-16-2015, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the advice. She finally arrived from Canada two days back and is exactly as billed. Lots of small projects, but the bulkhead and floors seem solid other than some small surface rust near the passenger door. The lower door frames are toast, but the PO included the repair pieces and I will have to source a welder locally (I'm not that brave). The dash isn't really a concern, just a preference. I was just curious if there was an easy conversion. Appreciate the help.

Best,
Jason

o2batsea
09-18-2015, 07:10 AM
I'd wonder if some overly zealous PO cut the wheel arches to fit the eyebrows. If that's the case you're stuck with them as the Series opening is quite different. taking the plastics off will leave an ugly scar. Ditto the diamond tread on the wings. yes it's ugly as sin, but it can be made slightly more likable by painting it flat black or even body color. Where this idiotic accessory got its start is anyone's guess but they are just about useless.S3 wings are not that hard to come by so worst case you bolt up some replacements.
Since you have a Series 3, you can put Defender doors on it or even find a good set of S3 doors. They aren't unobtanium like series 2, 2a doors. Cripes I think I have a S3 door you can have. Ike sent me one as a replacement 2A door. Good one there, dude...
Anyway, wishing you many happy miles of fun with your new chum.

fly cubs
09-18-2015, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the advice. She finally arrived from Canada two days back and is exactly as billed. Lots of small projects, but the bulkhead and floors seem solid other than some small surface rust near the passenger door. The lower door frames are toast, but the PO included the repair pieces and I will have to source a welder locally (I'm not that brave). The dash isn't really a concern, just a preference. I was just curious if there was an easy conversion. Appreciate the help.

Best,
Jason

Jason- if she is road worthy enough for a trip to Chapel Hill, bring her on up and I can do some welding- I TIG and Oxy/Acetelene weld.

neil.peru
09-24-2015, 09:06 PM
I agree with all the comments. Here is my opinion:
1. The 16" tires will make the truck look and perform better on the outdoors.
2. The diamond plates do not look bad; but you can take them and cover the holes with a flat, large head screw/bolt and paint over it to match the car's colour.
3. If you have the time and the will, go ahead, but make sure you have all the tools and pieces before you star. I am saying this because I just tried to clean my gas tank and was not able to finish it as I wanted because of materials, helper and misc. parts that I never tough I will need. However I did have the will to do it and now I am almost done.
4. If the Dash is the original that came with the car, my personal preference will be to leave the original to preserve the car design. I however will put some work to make sure every single feature in the panel works as it should be.

I will also:
- Bring it to a shop and ask then to spray a protective coating on the car's frame to protect it from corrosion.
- Install, if the truck allows, the second roofing above the car's roof + a nice roof rack. (see attached photo of my truck. I wonder why your S3 does not come with the double roofing.

Congratulations for getting that nice truck.
Neil

warrenperkinson
09-25-2015, 06:40 AM
The twin skin roof (Safari top) with the roof vents and quarter windows was an optional extra and not standard, as far as I'm aware.