PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Head Gasket

64Blue
08-24-2015, 07:32 AM
Hi, I recently bought a 64 2a that had sat for 10 years, very similiar to a '69 I used to have. Relatively rough running when I picked it up, and a compression test showed 145, 90, 90, 145, so was pretty sure it was a blow head gasket at least. Sure enough! From the look of the head and the block deck, it looks like it's been happening for a while too...

reinstalled everything, and didn'r run that great, so chasing through the fuel lines, filters, sediment bowl, carb, spark plug wires, plugs, rotor, cap, etc... good fun!

Anyone else have this occur? Anything I should be watching for in addition to this that may have occurred as a result, or led up to this?
Thanks!

siiirhd88
08-24-2015, 06:30 PM
I have had two head gasket failures at the same location on two different trucks. Check the head and block surface to see if they are flat. Running for an extended time with the gasket blown can wear the surfaces.

Bob

Les Parker
08-25-2015, 06:55 AM
Have you done a new compression test since the gasket was replaced? That would show some indicators.

64Blue
08-25-2015, 08:13 AM
I have had two head gasket failures at the same location on two different trucks. Check the head and block surface to see if they are flat. Running for an extended time with the gasket blown can wear the surfaces.

Bob

Definitely some wear on the block... but I think within tolerance (I need to check spec's on that).... honestly, I should just have the head machined to ensure it's not something I need to repeat... once I get it running OK, I will.

64Blue
09-19-2015, 07:25 PM
Ok, so finally dragged the car to the house from the buddy's house, so I can work on it more... new compression test.... 140 across all 4... uncannily identical... adjusted the valves and checked them twice... Did get it running, but definitely rough. valve train sounds pretty loud (oil is up to good level)...it only runs when I have my foot on the accelerator.... definitely having a hard time with the timing... put a timing light on it and its very retarded....if I advance it, the engine dies... the choke has to be on to even get it going....

any ideas or thoughts?

SafeAirOne
09-19-2015, 07:41 PM
A carb / mixture / fuel supply issue is what comes to mind if it only runs with your foot on the accelerator and you need choke to keep it alive in this warm weather.

Out of curiosity, where are you in NH?

64Blue
09-19-2015, 09:17 PM
A carb / mixture / fuel supply issue is what comes to mind if it only runs with your foot on the accelerator and you need choke to keep it alive in this warm weather.

Out of curiosity, where are you in NH?

OK.... I will check that out...

Left Coast....Over South of Seattle in Tacoma...

SafeAirOne
09-20-2015, 12:00 AM
Left Coast....Over South of Seattle in Tacoma...

Ha! Nevermind--I don't know where I got the wild idea that we were located in the same state. :confused:

64Blue
09-20-2015, 05:49 PM
NH Brethren, and others... good news...

re adjusted the valves... clearly, someone (me) wasn't paying attention as intake on #2 was way out of spec... guessing 40 /1000ths... not sure what I was smoking....
reset the distributor
tore the Rochester carb apart, sprayed it out, buffed the piston, and put back together.... the big change there was the float spec.... is supposed to be at 1 9/16 and was at about 1 1/4 so definitely explains the flooding.
Reassembled and fired right up...

these rigs are amazing...

Now to go through all the fluids on the tranny, Diffs' Fairey, etc...

Any recommendations for gear oil?
Thanks

J

64Blue
09-21-2015, 09:53 PM
Quick update.... Did a bit of research on the available GL 4 oils and ended up getting Amsoil 75w-90 for the gearbox and napa sta-lube 90w GL4 for the rest of the various over drives, differentials, transfer cases etc. Figured the amsoil would give me a bit of an easier time shifting. And go with Sta-Lube on the rest. Seems everything was a bit low so I am interested to see if its any quieter...

SafeAirOne
09-21-2015, 10:53 PM
Seems everything was a bit low so I am interested to see if its any quieter...

Are we taking any bets on the answer to this? ;)

slowmo
09-22-2015, 10:51 AM
This solution is the best I have found for reducing the noise level in a Series rover: