PDA

View Full Version : tub-side panel seal

siii8873
07-05-2007, 01:52 PM
I am getting ready to install my top onto the tub of my 73 SIII 88". What is the trick to keep the seal in place? I tried doing it dry but it will not stay in place! I'm thinking maybe a two sided tape to help hold it in place until I lower the top onto the tub. Anyone know a good way to do this. I have the top on the tub blocked up with some 2x4's.
By the way I'm on the final leg of a restoration of my rover which has included a newly rebuilt bulkhead, new frame, new seals everywhere, 100% new brakes, all components removed cleaned, repaired as needed. I'm now working on my least favorite part of this job. That is doing body work. 90% done with that followed by a paint job and the reinstalling all lights ect and she will be ready to put on the road. I did start her up the other day and drive her around the block. Ran pretty good for sitting 3+ years. One other problem is that when I first started the car I had to prime the carb a few times to keep it running (expected this since fuel lines bowl ect were empty) The truck then sat for ~ 2 weeks and I needed to prime the carb again to get it running? Once it started and ran I could turn it off and it would start back up (longest it sat was about 2 hrs).

jp-
07-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Are you refering to the seal between the side-panel and the tub, or the seal between the side-panel and the roof?

First off, the seals on the underside of the side-panels are siliconed it (at least I silicone mine in, that's how they stay in place). Then the side-panels are bolted to the tub (do not leave the side panels attached to the roof). The top seals are installed in the side-panels (making sure to silicone up any open gaps). Lastly, the roof goes on. This is the easiest way to do it.

siii8873
07-06-2007, 08:57 AM
I wasn't planning on splitting the top from the side panels. Is that necessary? I have placed the top w/ side panels on the tub. With four people it does not look to bad to get in place. I do think that I will take it back off to put the seals in place and then reinstall. I think it will be easier with less chance of messing it up that way.

jp-
07-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Sure, you can do it, but I've always had better luck bolting the sides on first. Either way, I think you are going to have to silicone those seals into the sides before you attempt to bolt it down. They just won't stay in unless you do.

siii8873
07-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks,
I have started to split the parts. This has opened another can of worms! When I dropped the top onto the tub I noticed an alignment problem. With the back panels on the tub and the front sitting on the windscreen I have a large gap (3/8") at the front Rt side of the side panel. And a small gap on the left side. I need to adjust the tub position, raise the front rt. My plan is to split the top, mount the side panels, and use a string line from the windscreen to the back of the side panels to position the tub vertically. Of course I have the seat base, floor panels, ect all bolted in. I Imagine it would be best to remove or at least loosen these parts befor attempting to adjust the tub. Otherwise I thing all of this will hinder this effort. Does this proceedure make sense?
Bob