PDA

View Full Version : Leaking oil pressure gauge line

chuckstp
08-30-2015, 09:40 AM
Yesterday I discovered a significant oil leak which left a trail into my garage. Turning on the engine, I can see a small stream of oil coming out of the steel line right off the oil filter. This is the one that has a spiral steel shield around it, and goes into the instrument panel, and presumably the oil filter. I removed it, cleaned and reinstalled it with the hopes it was simply lose or something. No such luck.

My guess is this is not a repair item. The nut which attaches to the fitting is crimped on, and likely the inner hose has a crack. I'm not looking forward to this since taking the plate holding the oil pressure gauge takes at least one ounce of skin off my knuckles just to look behind it.

I was unable to find anything like this on the host's site, and also looked on another.

Does anyone know what this is called, and where I might find one, or a suitable replacement?

jac04
08-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Try contacting Ike at Pangolin 4X4. I believe that he has had some of these oil hoses made.

chilidavid
08-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Two sources that I know of - in addition to Pangolin 4x4:

1. APT instruments (www.gaugeguys.com)
2. Merlin Motorsports (www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk)

I purchased mine from Merlin. Their product number is OP-15M and it was the 1.5m (length) oil pressure pipe which was plenty long, and it cost me 5.35 pounds, not including shipping - but I ordered their Smith's mechanical oil pressure gauge (CB-OP-B) along with the pipe so it was worth the order. Their OP gauge pipe has a smooth black surface. I think it's plastic (?) but it seems to work fine. Ike's product may be made better, but I'm not sure.

lumpydog
08-30-2015, 06:00 PM
These are NLA. They can certainly be found on eBay and other places but Ike/Pangolin4x4 has a reproduction of this part that is far more dependable. Most of the NOS ones will fail pretty quickly as the rubber core will be aged...

I'm currently using one of Ike's and it extremely well made. I'll be long gone before it fails.

antichrist
09-04-2015, 10:14 AM
Assuming it's a Smith's gauge, OE, call Nisonger Instruments. They rebuild gauges and will surely have a replacement, though I think Smiths went to a smaller tube later.
Alternatively you may find the fitting to make your own from small copper-nickel brake line.

Jim-ME
09-04-2015, 05:25 PM
Ike does make them and if they are like the rest of the stuff he makes you will never have to worry about it.

chuckstp
09-08-2015, 04:38 AM
I am of a mind to make my own actually. For the moment, I have the port closed off with a 1/4 flare cap. As far as the braided line, any idea of a source for that? I have in the past taken the stainless steel braid from water lines which I used for making beer. In that case, I simply threw out the interior tubing.

I also am going to replace a faucet for the kitchen sink which has a stainless coiled hose which looks quite reasonable to run tubing through.

lumpydog
09-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Other options here: http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproducts.asp?sg=2&pgCode=070&sgName=Hardware&pgName=Gauges&agCode=0611&agName=Smiths+Classic+Gauge+Fittings

Pretty much every fitting/adapter you could need.

Charlie

stomper
09-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Use aeroquipe line.