PDA

View Full Version : Serias 2A value? Thinking of selling

awdbandito
09-01-2015, 07:51 AM
I'm trying to figure out where to price my Rover if I decide to get rid of it. Some home project warrant getting rid of a toy and this one might be it. '68 2A, warn hubs, fairey OD, very reliable. RM door tops, full canvas top in great shape w/tail gate, hard top with back door, defender wheels, Driven frequently. Some rust repair on frame, bulkhead in good shape, rust on driver floor. Just trying to get a ball park.
Thanks for the feedback.

awdbandito
09-01-2015, 07:53 AM

chilidavid
09-01-2015, 03:46 PM
You might start by shopping on ebay, with an effort to find Series trucks within a few hundred miles of your area (?), which may not be so easy. The few operational Series trucks that are up for sale are scattered all over the place!

This is guesswork, but in my area of the country, in southeast Florida, the range could be anywhere from 5-ish grand upwards to 8-ish and above, depending, of course, on your engine and drive train conditions. I don't think the cosmetics are so critical anymore, but that's just me. And if your 2a simply has "all the correct OEM parts in it", then it should be more desirable, despite its appearance. Example: the 2.25 engine; Smith gauges; carb and breather; window washer; seating configurations; original body-color dash with correct knobs, switches etc. If your customers know anything about Series trucks, after-market stuff always dampens buyer enthusiasm.

The first thing I would do (if my 2a were for sale and I was in no hurry) is display it in a local vintage car show and put a crazy price tag on it. It would be great to sell it to someone locally as apposed to communicating with a tire-kicker on the other side of the continent.

Good luck! I'm anxious to read what others have to say!

David

cedryck
09-01-2015, 04:13 PM
In my humble opinion, has to everybit worth 3500$$ at least. I paid 3k for a beat up series 2a years ago,,,

awdbandito
09-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the input so far. It is hard to pinpoint value due to the limited number of publicly traded 2As. I also don't really want to get rid of the Rover but it makes sense that this is the vehicle to go. I'd like to hope that in a few years I can get back into something that is solid for similar pricing but the fact I like the vehicle makes it hard to take less than what I have in it.

Contractor
09-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Tons of variables and questions.

- What is the extent of the rust on the floor?

- Bulkhead is rust free and good or just ok?

- Frame has a few minor patches (solid) but is otherwise rust free?

- Brakes work well?

- Balance of the mechanicals (clutch, motor, etc.)

- Smoke (any motor work?)

- Leaks (typical or major)?

- Interior? Nice or trashed?

If your truck is nice, well running and has a few cosmetic issues outside (character) I would say you should be able to get around $7500-$8,000 for it as it sits in the pictures you posted. Start moving backwards if the answers to the questions I posted above are not favorable.

However, at the end of the day it's worth what someone is willing to pay……sounds like a copout, but is true and depends on location, accessibility to similar trucks and someones desire to purchase locally vs. rolling the dice and buying sight unseen.

It looks nice from my couch on the computer……GLWS!!

SafeAirOne
09-01-2015, 09:02 PM
makes it hard to take less than what I have in it.

I'm rooting for you! Perhaps you'll be the first owner of a running, regularly-maintained Rover in history to sell it for what you have into it.

o2batsea
09-02-2015, 06:29 PM
If it's any context, a well restored 2A can be worth way north of $50,000. However, a project in the state yours is in is merely a starting point for such a truck. If I were attempting to buy it from you with an eye towards restoration, I'd be in the 4500 range give or take. Full restoration will require something in the 20-25000 range for parts paint galv and machine work.
If someone wants to keep it as is and use it as a driver, maybe a little more like 5-5500. I'd go more if I knew the bulkhead and chassis were rust free and the engine was low miles.

awdbandito
09-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It gives me an idea of where to start if I do decide to put it on the market.
It is a solid truck that starts, goes, turns, and stops well for what it is. Although this is the only Series rover I've ever driven, so I don't have anything to compare to. I put 15-20 miles a week on it and have taken it on one 100 mile round day trip. I'll post a lot of video and pictures if it comes to selling it.

1971Series88
09-02-2015, 09:47 PM
You should get $8K easy

landerley
09-03-2015, 04:15 AM
If the truck is in original condition with no major alterations and you are not in a hurry I would not start any lower than $8K and would probably start with something more ridiculous in the $10K region and be prepared to negotiate. It will take the right buyer but they are out there. Series 3s aseem plentiful, but good a unaltered 2A with solid bulkhead is getting harder to find. Something about the metal dash that collectors love.