PDA

View Full Version : LR S2a - Fuel tank draw tube clogged/repair/clearance

neil.peru
09-18-2015, 05:35 PM
I have a 1970 LR S2a that was stored for 6 years and tried to start it but found that there was a blockage in the line coming from the gas tank; after inspection we found that the draw tube in the tank was blocked fully with tar like paste which I cleaned but in the process the nut, at the bottom of the draw tube, came off (due to being rusted) and the fine copper mesh, at the end of the nut, got damaged (see photos) which I plan to replace with a similar mesh on Stainless Steel material.

Would like advice on the following:

Will SS mesh work?.
Can I weld the mesh to the nut and the nut to the draw tube using tin (welding used by electricians)?.

Would like advise about the correct clearance of the draw tube (mesh) to the bottom of the tank. I did some measuring and found that the actual location of the mesh was about 1/16” from bottom.

A mechanic is coming these days to remove the tank for cleaning because the gas I left turned into a layer of tar, and also, there is lots of rust inside. Thanks in advance for the help.

Neil

cedryck
09-23-2015, 10:48 AM
You can fix the end, and add new screen mesh to keep the solids out. In my humble opinion when it comes to fuel delivery, replace those components with new, for example the tank, is crappy, and has old fuel in it, it is now or soon will be rusty, that debris goes into your fuel, I replaced an old tank and took two cups (kitchen measuring cups) of rust out, renew or replace important fuel items, filters, tank, fuel pump and you can insure good clean fuel to your carb. Just my 2p

lumpydog
09-23-2015, 01:50 PM
Looks to me like your draw tube has been altered. Mine does not have a bolt on the end with a tiny filtered opening like yours...

Mine is the same exact tube but with more of a metal mesh sock over the end - up to the point where the ring/bump is on yours.

Like this one. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-LAND-ROVER-PICK-UP-PIPE-IN-FUEL-TANK-MILITARY-MODELS-NRC6905-503492-/151626228421?hash=item234da0a2c5)

Contractor
09-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Looks to me like your draw tube has been altered. Mine does not have a bolt on the end with a tiny filtered opening like yours...

Mine is the same exact tube but with more of a metal mesh sock over the end - up to the point where the ring/bump is on yours.

Like this one. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-LAND-ROVER-PICK-UP-PIPE-IN-FUEL-TANK-MILITARY-MODELS-NRC6905-503492-/151626228421?hash=item234da0a2c5)

Agreed, that is not the original draw tube screen if it matters to you.

Clean the tank and install a new screen or buy a Defender draw tube filter and with a few minor modifications you can make it work just fine.

neil.peru
09-23-2015, 07:38 PM
Dear Cedryck; thank you for the advice.

I saw the photo that Lumpydog, above, sent me and will re-build the mesh as show on it.
About the tank, I think will have some difficulty replacing the tank because in Peru we don't have much resources regarding original parts.
Regarding the conditions of my tank; I can say that the tank was 100% dry when I got it off my garage; the gasoline is on it are the 6 gallons I added last week when I started the truck which ran for 1-2 hours and then gas did not go thru anymore, gas filter (the one before the gas pump) was clean, I also was able to blow air thru the gas line back to the tank and was free of obstructions, so I think that the problem might have been in the tank and the "TAR" material that formed on it including the draw tube. I read some postings regarding cleaning old gas tanks with vinegar, backing soda and chains (to loosen rust inside the tank); do you have any experience on this?... I would like to try it and see what kind of debris I get from my tank. I learned also that there might be a shop on my city that fabricates gas tanks.

Thank you again;

neil.peru
09-23-2015, 07:44 PM
Dear Lumpydog;
Thank you for sending me the photo; I understand now why the draw tube has that ring/bump on it.
I think I can re-build my draw tube same as the photo.
Thanks a lot.
Neil

neil.peru
09-23-2015, 07:57 PM
Dear Contractor;

Thank you for the advice;

Yes, I see now that the previous owner was very creative. I think I can re-build the mesh same as the photo Lumpydog sent me.

Do you know of an easy/good method to clean a gas tank?..., I read a post where they used vinegar, backing soda and chains (to loosen rust particles inside).

Thanks again.
Neil

eagle597
09-24-2015, 09:26 AM
I filled my gas tank with a few pounds of walnut shells for tumbling brass cartridge cases. Close the openings with duct tape. Strapped the tank to a cement mixer. turned it on and let run for a day. Used the handle on the cement mixer to tilt the drum and tank to different angles to cover all the surfaces inside. Dump out and wash. I then used POR 15 tank cleaner and sealer. sloshed the cleaner around on mixer too. then I put in the tank sealer and ran it until coated all over inside. Let it dry for 4 days. reinstalled

neil.peru
09-26-2015, 03:34 PM
Thank you everybody for their advice and good ideas to fix my LR's.

After a couple days work, did re-build the mesh for the draw tube of my two trucks (see photo), cleaned the tank of one of my trucks (the one I currently use) by flushing it 8-10 times with 6 gallons of gas until no particles came out from it and now the truck is running ok; however, didn't do great with the fuel tank of my other truck (the one that was sitting for 6+ years),... this tank had almost 1 lb. of BLACK TAR, gluey material (see photo), and got it out by scrapping with a wood stick thru the opening of the fuel sender unit, then I used 6 gallons of gas and washed the hell out of the tank over and over until no particles came out,... I ended up filtering the gasoline after every wash (with a fine thick fabric) and at the end the gas turned almost black. By the end of the day, I re-filled the tank with 5 clean gallons of 90 oct. gas,... I will start flushing again tomorrow and hope I will get the rest of that BLACK TAR, but I am not optimistic it will work 100% so I started a experiment to see how I can dilute/dissolve the TAR on the tank,... so I prepared 3 containers filled with thinner, gasoline or vinegar, put on each a chunk of that BLACK TAR and noted that almost immediately the thinner started dissolving most of it and by now, after 1 hour, the chunk of TAR is gone!!!, the vinegar and gasoline did nothing.

Does any body know if thinner is OK to use in the tank?... I think it will do the job of dissolving the TAR but I am just not sure if I could damage something inside the tank (coating or any other feature I am not aware of).

Will appreciate any comments.
Thanks;
Neil

neil.peru
10-07-2015, 09:33 AM
Thank you all for all the help.
I finally cleaned the tank of my 1969-SIIa-109, what a job!!!.
Car is running now but with some break issues (need to pump break pedal 4-6 times before it gets hard and car breaks; I read that might be because of air in the break lines).