PDA

View Full Version : break fluid leak

Jester065
10-06-2015, 06:57 AM
10993I have a break fluid leak. Leak is an understatement. It looks like i just dumped the bottle onto the floor. I am going to re build the MC. From the picture what kit should I get from our host? Also i am concerned about the booster. How do i know if there was any damage? Thank you for all your help.

triumphtr7guy
10-06-2015, 07:17 AM
First step, dont panic, panic is a waste of time and energy. save your strength.
my analysis, step one, pull the master and clean things up, look inside the booster, see if any fluid has gotten in, clean that up,
pull the piston from the master, look at the bore, clean any shiny, no rough spots??? probably get away with a rebuild kit for the master. any imperfections on the cylinder walls will come back to haunt you. run you finger around inside the cylinder, feel smooth??
a quick fix is do a polish job with some scotch brite, but that wont take out any deep pitting. if it is deep pitting, then you need to get a new master or get that one sleeved. be sure and clean up any spilled fluids !!! dont want bare metal showing through.

best of luck

Bruce, 80 TR7 that is almost, almost finished
73 S III next in line for the garage after the 7 leaves

o2batsea
10-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Brake, not break.

SafeAirOne
10-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Brake, not break.

Looks broken to me.

;)

Jester065
10-06-2015, 09:38 PM
Brake, not break.
Thank you for the heads up. At 0630 after PT and before coffee it is a miracle i was able to start the computer.

Jester065
10-06-2015, 09:45 PM
Thank you for your help. My other concern was getting everything cleaned off. I driver her on the weekends so after filling up the reservoir and returning a week later fluid is every where. On the floor dripping down the pedals. A true mess.But i appreciated the encouragement and telling me not to panic. Owning a lady is still very new to me and panic is my default setting when it comes to her. I am happy i can come and receive tips and encouragement from veteran owners.

o2batsea
10-07-2015, 06:50 AM
Since you have a type 50 booster, you'll want to order up either 90577520 (RN Part # PLC762) master cylinder complete or RNC640 which is the rebuild kit. At a stunning $70 for the kit, you might as well buy the master complete.
If you need any pipes, let me know. I have the proper Eastwood brake flare tool to make any kind of pipes, cheap!

cedryck
10-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Love to hear another Roverphile mention the Eastwood pipe flaring tool, love that tool.