PDA

View Full Version : Question about play in steering relay

learyseamus
10-10-2015, 02:13 PM
Hi folks, I bought Donnie 's 109 got it home Wednesday night. So happy with this truck, it needs some tlc, but seems t be running straight. Replaced the clutch master this morning and straightened the drag link, which had an L bend that made all left hand turns a three point process. The rod ends seemed alright, but I noticed some play in the relay (1/2 inch) when I had the drag link disconnected. Is this normal. I'm still feeling a little wander, nothing scary but I would like to tighten it up a bit more. Would the little play in the relay be culprit?
Also, anyone have any thoughts on the proline door top frames offered by our hosts. Are they a pretty seamless replacement? Thanks, Bryan Deel (can't figure out how to change my username)

tolonian
10-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Hi folks, I bought Donnie 's 109 got it home Wednesday night. So happy with this truck, it needs some tlc, but seems t be running straight. Replaced the clutch master this morning and straightened the drag link, which had an L bend that made all left hand turns a three point process. The rod ends seemed alright, but I noticed some play in the relay (1/2 inch) when I had the drag link disconnected. Is this normal. I'm still feeling a little wander, nothing scary but I would like to tighten it up a bit more. Would the little play in the relay be culprit?
Also, anyone have any thoughts on the proline door top frames offered by our hosts. Are they a pretty seamless replacement? Thanks, Bryan Deel (can't figure out how to change my username)

The relay is bolted to the frame and probably rusted in as well so if its tight there and there is still play yeah that can make the whole process feel a little loose, just like worn out TRE's.

Re the dootops, I had a pair of "pattern part" doortops and on one side they were so so, the other side the studs werent in the right location to fit the door holes and they didnt sit with the top of the doot top slightly angled in so I replaced with Rocky Mountain door tops and I would recommend those, they are great.