PDA

View Full Version : Low oil temp issue

LR Max
10-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Vehicle: 1973 Series 3 109, Ex-MOD. 2.25 gas 12v

Fitted with the military oil cooler.

So I was cruising down the interstate yesterday, doing about ~60ish mpg. The 2.25 gasser is running at operating temp. Suddenly, the oil temp starts dropping and drops from 85C down to 30C. I'm still hauling on the interstate, but ambient is high 50F. Coolant temp drops a little bit.

I come to stop and go traffic, and the coolant temp drops significantly (normally when I come to a stop, the coolant temp raises just a bit before falling).

What would cause my oil temp to drop like that, but keep the coolant near the operating temp? This is an Ex-mod 109. The oil temp is capillary and the water temp is electric. I do have the air-to-oil oil cooler installed as well.

I did a bit of research and the oil cooler basically works as the pressure overflow for the oil system. So I'm wondering if I'm building too much oil pressure and its forcing a lot of oil through the cooler. If that is the case, I'm wondering if I've got a clogged oil filter.

If anyone has any experience with this, I'd appreciate any insight you can provide.