PDA

View Full Version : 2.6l Power Output-What to expect and should it be deceptively quiet ?

learyseamus
10-26-2015, 08:07 PM
Hello all! I've had my rover 2 weeks, now, and have driven it a good bit. New wheel cylinders and hoses and hub seals went on last week, and I drove it to a British car show yesterday. I had to cross a bridge to get there, probably the steepest incline in the region (we call it Mt. Pleasant), and I had the pedal almost to the floor and was probably doing 35 when I reached the top. The bridge rises 250' in about a mile, which doesn't sound like much, but it took all the 109 had to get to the top. I cleaned the hand bake linkage just before making the trip because I thought it was hanging up, even when I didn't engage it, so I don't think it was sticking. Can anyone tell me if this sounds right for this engine? I thought the 2.6 might be able to push the truck a little more than that, but that is based on nothing more than my imagination.
There is a small head gasket leak at very front, but my mechanic says the compression is what it should be and the replacement can wait a bit. I also had several people comment on how quiet the engine is. I feel like I read somewhere that that is due to all of the cast iron, but it really is hard to believe that it is as quiet as a modern car minus the putting.
So, if any 2.6 owners have any thoughts on my experience or advise on the engine in general I'd really appreciate it.
I don't know if I have mentioned it yet, but I am ashamed about how happy I am with this truck! Cheers

landerley
10-27-2015, 05:40 AM
That's about all your going to get out of a euro 2.6 motor, and they are a bit quieter and smoother than the 2.25. The 2.6 was not a significant performance upgrade.

o2batsea
10-27-2015, 07:22 AM
What's up superlump?! You will have to get used to downshifting to third my friend! I used to have an overdrive in my useless 2.25 diesel. I often found OD 3rd was a good option. Yes, an inline 6 is about as smooth as internal combustion engines get. That combined with long rods gets you the perfect combination of smooth quiet low-down grunt. It does not get you high revving horsepower.
Loved the Superhurricane 6 in my old Willys wagon. That engine you could literally edge balance a coin on it at idle.
I suppose I shouldn't whisper "Tdi" this soon in your honeymoon.

mearstrae
10-27-2015, 08:23 AM
2.6, wonderful farm motor, this is why my 2.6 is now a 3.5 (out of a Range Rover with the high ratio LT-95 with O.D.). Better all round usefulness, and highway speeds are no problem (Imagine a speeding ticket in a Series Truck...). Oh, and mileage isn't much different.

'99 Disco II
'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

learyseamus
10-27-2015, 09:10 AM
Thanks folks. I don't care about slow, I was just worried something wasn't right and I was potential lily doing damage to the engine. Would you take it off the road because of thehead gasket? I'm trying to get to the middle of November before replacing it and resurfacing the head. Anything else you would do while replacing the head gasket? Thanks again, Bryan

slowmo
10-27-2015, 05:19 PM
Running with a bad head gasket is risky in my opinion. You stand to damage either the top of the block or the head...or both. Personally I would bite the bullet and do it now. $0.02.

SafeAirOne
10-27-2015, 07:16 PM
Running with a bad head gasket is risky in my opinion. You stand to damage either the top of the block or the head...or both. Personally I would bite the bullet and do it now. $0.02.

I was thinking the same thing.

learyseamus
10-28-2015, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the .04. The shop it is. I was hoping to rent a space to break it all down because I ve never dove into an engine before, but it just need to be done. I have the head gasket kit from our hosts and a rocker cover gasket, are there any other items (may as well while you're in there) I should have in hand when I drop the truck off? Valve seats, guides… thanks for calling me out, Cheers

slowmo
10-28-2015, 09:37 AM
Closely examine the exhaust manifold for cracks. They are prone to that. You will likely want to have all new studs, bolts and washers for the manifold as well. They will be shot.

You won't know about the condition of the valves etc. until the head is off. Hope for the best.

Since you will have the carb off, I would probably clean it up put a new kit on it, but that's just me.

Good luck!!