PDA

View Full Version : Yikes, 109 tries to move forward, but can not overcome something

learyseamus
11-03-2015, 11:00 AM
I was sure I had a problem with the parking brake linkage or spring, but with the drum off I still can not move forward ( it rolls reverse just fine). It tries, but it is like I am driving against a chock that is too large for the wheels to roll over. I wind up-move an inch or so forward-until feels like a dangerous amount of pressure, push in the clutch and the truck rolls back to its original position. New wheel cylinders and pads just went on to the front, but are slack to seat the new shoes over time. Also, new hub seals. I'm about to jack up and see if the front wheels move.
this problem happened before working on the brakes, and solid rap with a hammer to the hand brake drum released something.
Ill be rolling around in the mud trying to figure it out, so if you have any ideas, I'd love to here'm. Cheers

ThePhotographer
11-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Give this a shot...jack up the vehicle, or each corner, and try to rotate the wheel forward and backwards. Report back...

learyseamus
11-03-2015, 12:36 PM
Each front wheel will spin in reverse, but not forward with truck in neutral. Thats jacking one wheel at a time.

Les Parker
11-03-2015, 12:52 PM
Where is the red lever? Pointing at the bulkhead or to the seat box.
Try selecting neutral (in the middle) and see if that helps with moving the vehicle.

siii8873
11-03-2015, 02:06 PM
do you have the shoes and springs on correct w/ leading edge chamfer. I had one set of aftermarket shoes without this and they were also to large, same issue.

learyseamus
11-03-2015, 02:06 PM
In neutral (red lever), theres no moving forward. I could force it I think. After moving backwards and forwards, the problem released before, but I really want to get to the bottom of it.

SafeAirOne
11-03-2015, 04:33 PM
So with the red lever in neutral you still have an issue then?

If so, be systematic about your approach. Narrow down the issue to front, back or middle.For example:

Chock both sides of both left wheels, put the transfer case in neutral lift both right side wheels and check for the problem.

Assuming the problem is there, remove the handbrake drum. Slide it back on the driveshaft and check if the problem is still there. If it is, reinstall the drum and disconnect the rear driveshaft from the rear diff.

Is the problem still there on the raised rear wheel? If not, the problem is not on the rear axle; Check the front axle.

If the problem IS still there, remove the hub drive flange on the raised wheel. Is the problem still there? If so the problem is somewhere on the rear hub or brakes of that raised wheel.

If the problem disappears, reinstall the drive flange,, lower that wheel and raise the opposite wheel and remove THAT drive flange and check for the problem on the newly raised wheel. If the problem is still there, the issue is on the newly-raised wheel's hub or brakes. If the problem is gone, then the issue is within the rear diff itself.

See what I mean? isolate the problem--This could be anything from a loose mainshaft nut in the transmission to a failure of one of the brake wheel cylinders to release.

learyseamus
11-05-2015, 09:14 AM
Status update: was able to rule out hand brake and rear end. With front drums off the hubs spin freely. The shoes seem to be able to move about a little easier than I expected and with the shoes backed off I can turn the hubs forward but it feels rough. Also, one wheel when turned back and the forward suddenly makes a clunk I feel is in the diff. Which will come off next. Thanks for your advice!

SafeAirOne
11-05-2015, 06:32 PM
Were all the front brake springs intact/installed correctly?

learyseamus
11-06-2015, 03:33 PM
I took the shoes off put the drum and wheel back on and I can now turn the wheel forwards, but I hear a thump every third or forth rotation coming the differential I think. With the wheel off the hub spins smooth. Actually, with the MAPs off the wheel turning shouldn't effect the diff so the problems got to be in the hub, right?