PDA

View Full Version : Going to try a Weber. Not sure why.

chilidavid
11-03-2015, 03:51 PM
Adding to the existing threads on Zenith vs Weber, I offer the following:

After rebuilding my original Zenith 36IV"e" (with shut-off solenoid), as well as executing the famous "re-lapping" of all of the the contact surfaces years ago, the old carb still ran a little rich. It ran fine, but a little rich, re: dark, but definitely dry plugs. Then I ordered a reproduction Zenith from our host, and was happy all over again. But the new Zenith began to run lean for a while, for a year or more. And now, the opposite is true: it requires the choke to be pulled out slightly to run satisfactorily. And I've taken it apart more than once to blow out all the cavities. It runs fine, but...I still yearn for the ultimate in vehicle performance. (Joke. Let's face it; I do drive a Series!). Oh...my carb performance may actually have to do with the quality of gas around here, the ethanol content and such, but that's another story. I'm going to ignore that issue for a while.

I just ordered a Weber 34 ICH from our host and expect to receive it soon. And the better news is that the website - www.carburetion.com - provides all the parts one might need for the 34 ICH, including optional jets. EXAMPLE; they offer 28 options for the main jet, from size .095 to .220 at a cost of $4.20 each. (This is starting to sound like an advertisement!)

And the site provides an easy set-up guide which tells you immediately, during set-up, which direction to go in order to achieve the results you want. And if your set-up ends up varying from their "recommended screw-turns", etc., they tell you what you need to do. I may even be able to figure out how to get a Weber to perform for me! Even with the gas I've been forced to use!

Anyway, I think I must be in love with carburetors now. That's the only reason I can justify the purchase. Wish me luck. In a couple of years, I'm probably going to need to install some shelving so that I can begin to exhibit all my carb purchases. Things could be worse.

slowmo
11-03-2015, 05:01 PM
I have found the weber to be very easy to tune, extracting every ounce of CP (Chipmonk Power) out of my truck. Before putting in a new kit I chugged up hills at 35mph (guessing because the slowdometer needle used to vary widely until the dang thing made a weird noise and refused to register any velocity at all). After the kit and expert tuning, I zoom up hills at 36-37mph (same guess as before). My plugs look absolutely perfect, and that is what I yell at people as they pass me, giving the Rover salute, which involves only one finger, "Thanks for the salute and honking and guess what...I have perfect plugs."

I don't know anything about the Zenith but the TR3 has dual SU H6's which are actually quite good carbs, when singing in harmony. I think the Rover's intake manifold and carb combination results in the fabulous highway performance our trucks have...well that and the drive train...and engine. But other than that, quite the performer.

chilidavid
11-04-2015, 02:41 PM
I just re-read my entry, and realized that I should have stated that my NEW reproduction Zenith has always run lean. From what I wrote, is was indicating that the NEW reproduction Zenith was running rich at first. Not so. The reproduction Zenith runs lean, and I've always had to run it with the choke slightly pulled out. I like the new Zenith from our host, and can live with its performance, but am going to try the Weber just for the heck of it.

I guess I don't know my LEAN from my RICH anymore.

Thanks for the input on the Weber. Can't wait to see how it performs. If I have any trouble with it, I have plenty of Zeniths to fall back on. They've never let me down so far. I always seem to make it to work on time. (Yuuuuuk!).

cedryck
11-04-2015, 02:45 PM
True, and so true. I have the same Weber, and agree, easy to set up, and clean. Works fine, and gives me that eye watering (slow motion) British acceleration, that we all love from driving a noisy drippy series truck. Rover on!.