PDA

View Full Version : Smiths Heater Box Question......

TedW
11-04-2015, 09:38 AM
I have a NOS Smiths Heater box, #5101/05. It looks much like the box in my 1970 IIA, but is not identical. Can anyone suggest a reference source that might tell me what vehicle this goes to? Mister Google has not been very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Ted

siii8873
11-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Ted,
I know there are at least two types. I bought a NOS SIII one and it was not correct for my bugeye. The configuration of the supply duct was different. I think the bugeye heating system is same as late IIA. Guessing you have a SIII box.
not a big difference but not interchangeable from what I could tell.

TedW
11-05-2015, 08:29 AM
After more looking online it appears that this is for a Series III - I would appreciate confirmation on this point.

Thanks,

Ted

lumpydog
11-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Ted,
I know there are at least two types. I bought a NOS SIII one and it was not correct for my bugeye. The configuration of the supply duct was different. I think the bugeye heating system is same as late IIA. Guessing you have a SIII box.
not a big difference but not interchangeable from what I could tell.

I had a similar experience. Purchased a NOS core/box for my 1968 (pre-bugeye but barely) and it was not a match. Yes - the bugeye heater duct config is the same as the 67-71 series trucks. Thankfully my original heater box was in great shape - it was the core that I wanted to swap out. The cores are interchangeable - I transplanted the NOS core into my original heater box.

The box you have pictured is for a series 3.

cedryck
11-13-2015, 03:11 PM
Anyone know of any replacement cores availiable for the ROUND style Smiths heater, stateside preferably?

Star27buck
11-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Clayton makes them in the UK.
http://claytonclassics.co.uk/parts-upgrades/13-circular-heaters

Round cores appear on eBay from time to time. The core depth varies for different Britcar applications but the front and backs are more or less the same so almost any of the British parts places will have them, though I think they all look as if they came from Claytons Some prewar Ford cars and trucks had round cores that can be made to work.