PDA

View Full Version : Tire on the Bonnet

64Blue
11-06-2015, 11:19 AM
All, I currently have the tire mounted on the back door, and looking to put it on the bonnet. I don't have the mounting hardware, but wanted to see how folks have mounted that in the past? Have you just riveted the mounting plate to the bonnet?

Many thanks!
J

cedryck
11-06-2015, 11:47 AM
The "Hat" is merely rivits to the hood. There are some other bits and pieces to help attach the tire as well.

TedW
11-06-2015, 12:15 PM
The "pie plate" needs to line up properly so that the rivets go through the bonnet frame. Also, you will need to drill two holes for the attachment bolts to extend through. I suspect that there is a template available for all of this, and if you buy the parts from our wonderful hosts they can probably show you how to do it.

coopinoz
12-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Some bonnets were not designed to take the weight of a tyre. There should be a steel frame inside the bonnet with two rails running fore and aft to which the "pie plate" bolts.
Be aware that lifting the bonnet with a tyre on it is a bit of a bench-press exercise. We only put our second spare up there when we are going on trips where it might be needed. Otherwise checking the oil and water becomes a weight-lifting exercise!
The tyre valve is also not accessible when the wheel is mounted on the bonnet. I've used a flexible extension for the valve so I can check the tyre pressure without taking it off the bonnet.
Cheers

Coopinoz

SafeAirOne
12-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Be aware that lifting the bonnet with a tyre on it is a bit of a bench-press exercise. ...checking the oil and water becomes a weight-lifting exercise!

Like parallel parking a Series Rover, the above benefit saves you the expense of a gym membership.

o2batsea
12-07-2015, 06:05 PM
With a 120 lb tire up there I can say it isn't that much to lift it. The major weight is on the hinges. The bonnet acts like a lever.
Be sure that you can rivet thru to the support rails. There are 6 (long) rivets that have to catch that. If it's just thru the skin, well, just don't.
I have stopped hauling a spare around any more. In 40 years of driving I have never had to change a spare. Off road, sure, but on highways? not

desullivan
12-18-2015, 09:39 AM
FWIW- according to the PO of my 109 SW, when the tire was mounted on the rear door and he was off roading, the tire actually caught as he was going through a ditch and slightly bent up the lower half of the rear door. He stopped carrying the tire on the rear door. And he never fixed the bent door which has been one of my tasks during restoration! Maybe just a problem with the SW vs. 88".

cedryck
12-18-2015, 10:45 AM
I never liked the rear door carrier as it bends and warps due to the heavy tire (off road) tire that I had on there. I removed it, and like the inside the car spare parking place behind the tub bulkhead. Yes I am eliminating room from the rare passenger in the back, but,,my rear door is intact.

SafeAirOne
12-18-2015, 12:02 PM
FWIW- according to the PO of my 109 SW, when the tire was mounted on the rear door and he was off roading, the tire actually caught as he was going through a ditch and slightly bent up the lower half of the rear door.

I'm going to bet the spare tire carrier is mounted in the low position, not the high position on your rear door.

warrenperkinson
12-18-2015, 01:11 PM
I put my spare on the bonnet. If you get a cover for it you can store stuff inside it too - I keep jumper leads in there for example. If you have a sIIa or earlier you'll find it may find it wears the hinges over time.

But I don't keep the tyre on the bonnet when off reading because it really reduces your forward vision - particularly when cresting any hill or approaching a drop off. When off road, I keep it in the back, 'cos I'm unlikely to have passengers then.

desullivan
12-18-2015, 01:32 PM
"I'm going to bet the spare tire carrier is mounted in the low position, not the high position on your rear door. "

Came from the factory that way-if there is another mounting option for the bracket on the rear door please let me know where to find it. I can not see any other options on the door unless I drill holes higher up.

SafeAirOne
12-18-2015, 10:38 PM
I can not see any other options on the door unless I drill holes higher up.

That pretty much sums it up.

Somewhere along the way, rear window visibility and ease of opening the rear door won out over off-road capability/departure angle:

http://www.british4x4s.com/sales/109sw/Rear.JPG
http://www.2040-cars.com/_content/cars/images/99/82899/002.jpg
http://www.simoncars.co.uk/landrover/slides/t_Land-Rover%20Series%20IIa%20Station%20Wagon%20109inch%2 0tail.jpg
http://topclassicsforsale.com/uploads/photoalbum/1976-land-rover-109-diesel-iii-series-5.JPG

desullivan
12-18-2015, 11:00 PM
SAFEAIRONE- Thanks for the explanation and photos!!! I did not intend to hijack this thread-just wanted to share the dilemma I share with the weight on the bonnet and the problem with the rear door mount as I have the option for both. Neither too appealing but usable with caution.